Corsair review by Samick

Samick: Corsair

Purchased from: Local Music Store

My style of music varies from Rock (all decades), to country and I have performed with my church's band playing songs from Hillsong, Delirious, Chris Tomlin and the likes. This bass fits right in and gives the lows and the highs I need to perform these songs. Even when it is tuned to another key, there is no string-talk and the sustain is there. The sound is rich all the way through the frets and coupled up with amps and effects it really shines! It also works better than my Ibanez did with Tascam's latest bass trainer and doesn't distort as easily when the volume is cranked.

Used mainly for Christian Alternative and my favorite 80's songs from groups like Journey, Styx, Boston and those one-hit wonders, this bass fits right in a performs very well. I have been playing bass for only 4 years with this model being my second bass. For beginners and performers alike, I do recommend this model. It's light, but very durable construction, will last you for years...as long as it is properly maintained. I have only had an Ibanez bass to compare this model with, but did try out a few other models like Fender, Squier, and Peavey...but they were practically the same at a higher cost. This will join my arsenal of instruments that includes Yamaha keyboards and soon to be drumset and digital recorder. Overall, for the price, you can't go wrong with this bass!

The bass is very lightweight and won't weigh you down during long performances. The hardware that came with mine seems very promising, but I do plan to replace the pickups eventually. I did have an issue with the strap button on the end of the body, but only cause I neglected to check the holding screw before using it. I removed both, added some loc-tight to them and re-installed them. The finish looks beautiful with the lighting effects that are used..and it cleans easily.

When I aquired my model, it was neglected of any regular maintanence and over time the "new" bass was more like a pawn shop special when I got it. I am still in the process of fine tuning the instrument but the overall look and sound has turned heads. All the hardware is straight-forward as far as fine tuning is concerned... And very much standard issue. Only complaint I have is the location of the 1/4" jack as it can make it troublesome to make adjustments during a performance, but can be easily overlooked when using a cable with an angled male connector.

My model is the CR-1/A1 made in Indonesia. I was looking for a bass to replace my Ibanez Jumpset bass model as it was shot from heavy performance use playing for my local church. I ran across this one sitting away from other name-brand models in a local music store. Apparently he had it for a long time, it was dusty, and the price tag was $259 when I showed interest. I tested the bass using one of the store's amps and actually fell in love with it. The rosewood fretboard with the offset markers is a nice touch and the angled head allows for some interesting sustains. I also like the corvette yellow color. I told the salesman I liked the bass and he goes, "$189 and it's yours!"...how could I pass that up? However, being there for a while it needed to be setup again and new strings are a must. The three factory-stock pickups perform well with no noticable humms, feedback or other annoying sounds usually present from a bass in this price range. My Ibanez suffered in this department. The tuning keys are effecient and don't allow the bass to get out of tune easily. However, it doesn't take much of a turn to bring a single string off key.