Fairlane review by Samick

Samick: Fairlane

Purchased from: Pierce Music

I play a wide range of music from jazz band during school to pop punk shows every friday and some Saturdays. This bass is the most versitale bass I've ever played. I've been playing bass for 2 years. I own a Squier P-Bass and a SWR 4004 Head and 4x10T stack. I wish I would have asked about this brand of bass before buying my Squier, but at the time Fender was the only name I had been comfortable with. If this bass were lost or stolen I probably would get another Samick, whether or not I'd get the Greg Bennet Fairlane or not is undecided, but I definately would consider it. This bass has an amazing tone quality for it's price or any price. It has a bolt-on neck which makes the fret easy to move up and down on. The body is small enough that it doesn't get too heavy and bulky on stage and the neck is supper light. I don't really like the neck style with two tuners on each side, whereas I perfer all 4 tuners on one side, but the other features make up for this. I compared this bass to serval others. One of which is the Fender P-Bass. I was impressed with the Fender P-Bass, but had a hard time figuring out how it would be worth the cost. This bass was a good price and it has an awesome tone. As mentioned before, I wish this bass had all four tuners on one side of the neck.

This guitar has been through three live shows and it does really well live and I've even dropped it on stage and I was able to pick it up and keep playing. The hardware seems like it will last, but the previous owners have abused it (i.e. the missing knob, and the tuning peg), but once I fixed it, it seems like it can withstand anything. I currently use this bass on stage with a backup, but I only bring the back up in the event that I break a string or something. I'm using a Squier P-Bass for a backup. I play this bass approx. 20 hours a week and the finish has withstood all of it.

When I bought this bass it had been used by some one that thought they were going to get into it but never invested the time into learning. When I got the bass it was missing the tone knob (which I replaced with one I got from Samick expecially made for this bass) and the low 'E' tunning peg was broken off, which I ended up replacing all of them after not being able to find a match.

This Samick Greg Bennet series Fairlane bass guitar was made in 2000 in Korea. It features 22 jumbo frets on a 34" a rosewood fingerboard and an alder body. This bass features an offset body that became famous in the early sixties, which gives it an edgier look while keeping a good visual and physical balance. This bass has fined tuned active electronics that allow you to dial in your signature tone quickly. This bass has two controls. One of these controls is volume and the other is tone. This bass included a gig bag, stap, picks, and a 10' patch cord, which was included by the music dealer and not Samick.