Damian-4 review by Schecter

Schecter: Damian-4

Purchased from: Guitar Centre

I tend to play a lot of metal/hard rock. This bass was absolutely built to give you a punchy, yet growling sound. I play it directly in my Warwick 30 Watt amp most of the time, which really emphasizes the tone. Setting the EQ on the bass to max delivers the perfect tone for playing songs like Ride the Lightning (Metallica). It is not noisy at all, due to the active humbuckers. Adding some effects really underlines the quality of this bass guitar. When I'm on stage, I play this trough a Boss ME-50B, and it's tone is unbeatable. This surely is very cool, but I also tried to get a softer tone out of it, which is incredibly hard. So the bass scores less on versatility. On the other hand, Who buys this bass to play ballads anyway?

This bass comes in very good when playing the heavy stuff, it won't let you down. On the other hand, it's a bit to heavy sometimes and keeping it flawless is hard.

As said before, this bass is almost indestructible. I bought an hardshell case with it so it wouldn't be smashed around to much. I sometimes quite tortured this bass on stage, but it seems to take the beating very well. This bass will never just fall apart on stage, so I actually don't have a heavy backup-bass. Pods are rock solid and the tuners won't make this bass go out of tune at any time. There are a few minor disadvantages: the finish is not scratch-resistant (I've got a few scratches on the back and front of the body). Besides that, you'll have to dust this thing off quite a lot (dust is easily visible).

I got this bass straight from the showroom. It must have been hanging around there for just a days weeks because it was still in perfect shape. The string action was a bit high, but that also makes it very hard to produce fret buzz. Pickups were fine, just like the string tension. It bought this thing flawless. Playing in the low registers is very easy and satisfying. All frets below the 12th play effortless. When trying to hit the higher notes, playing becomes increasingly difficult. It's not a disaster, but I like to try solo's and that might just be a bit to difficult on this bass.

This Schecter Diamond Series Damien-4 was built in 2009. Crafted in China, put together and fine tuned in the USA. It's made of a solid basswood body with a maple bolt-on neck, 34" scale, 24 jumbo frets. The body features some kind of bone-structure and the finish is matte Satin Black. The coolest feature is definitely the shiny bat-inlays, which make this bass look really bad ass. It has two thundering active EMG-HZ humbucker pickups with Volume/Blend/Active 2-Band EQ. The bridge is custom Schecter, like the tuners. I've been playing this bass for half a year now and I find it very satisfying. I changed the strings after a month, now it has black coated DR's. It's as solid as a Fortress! Add some effects (muff, distortion) and you will be able to produce a astonishing sound from your amp. The only disadvantages is the active circuitry (always carry extra batteries on you). I won't give this bass a ten because it becomes quite heavy when you're playing a set list with more then 10 songs and it has a slight neck dive (not dramatically, but still a nuisance).

Englishjw
    I am firmly in the Schecter camp - great players for the money and gorgeous to boot. If anyone is looking for a Stiletto Elite 5, I have a 2007 black cherry available for $399 plus shipping in mint condition (it was replaced by a Studio 5). If you are interested, contact me at englishjw@yahoo.com.
    bloodbathprods
    bloodbathprods
    metal monster... grrrumble
    bloodbathprods wrote: i have just in the past two weeks purchased the diamond serias damien 4 four string with custom bridge and keys.....standard for $450. list price was $700. this bass is a must for anyone who wants the reach and smooth transition neck. thunder bottom,.my guitarist loves it especially when hooked up tu an ampeg b series and big muff distortion. my grade for this killer bass is 9
    Mshenay
    Tell me about it >:3 It's a nice bass to own Glad the reviews are good! I bought my used of my buddy 3 years ago for about 300$ Glad to see I started off on a nice bass!
    izzy.valencia.9
    I have an rd 500 I have an Ibanez musician polar white an Ibanez destroyer a sr 250 ant the shecter