Damian-4 Review

6,199
reviews (2) pictures (1) 22 comments vote for this gear:
Damian-4 Reviewed by: GidBass, on december 15, 2009

Purchased from: Guitar Centre

Features: This Schecter Diamond Series Damien-4 was built in 2009. Crafted in China, put together and fine tuned in the USA. It's made of a solid basswood body with a maple bolt-on neck, 34" scale, 24 jumbo frets. The body features some kind of bone-structure and the finish is matte Satin Black. The coolest feature is definitely the shiny bat-inlays, which make this bass look really bad ass. It has two thundering active EMG-HZ humbucker pickups with Volume/Blend/Active 2-Band EQ. The bridge is custom Schecter, like the tuners. I've been playing this bass for half a year now and I find it very satisfying. I changed the strings after a month, now it has black coated DR's. It's as solid as a Fortress! Add some effects (muff, distortion) and you will be able to produce a astonishing sound from your amp. The only disadvantages is the active circuitry (always carry extra batteries on you). I won't give this bass a ten because it becomes quite heavy when you're playing a set list with more then 10 songs and it has a slight neck dive (not dramatically, but still a nuisance). // 8

Sound: I tend to play a lot of metal/hard rock. This bass was absolutely built to give you a punchy, yet growling sound. I play it directly in my Warwick 30 Watt amp most of the time, which really emphasizes the tone. Setting the EQ on the bass to max delivers the perfect tone for playing songs like Ride the Lightning (Metallica). It is not noisy at all, due to the active humbuckers. Adding some effects really underlines the quality of this bass guitar. When I'm on stage, I play this trough a Boss ME-50B, and it's tone is unbeatable. This surely is very cool, but I also tried to get a softer tone out of it, which is incredibly hard. So the bass scores less on versatility. On the other hand, Who buys this bass to play ballads anyway? // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this bass straight from the showroom. It must have been hanging around there for just a days weeks because it was still in perfect shape. The string action was a bit high, but that also makes it very hard to produce fret buzz. Pickups were fine, just like the string tension. It bought this thing flawless. Playing in the low registers is very easy and satisfying. All frets below the 12th play effortless. When trying to hit the higher notes, playing becomes increasingly difficult. It's not a disaster, but I like to try solo's and that might just be a bit to difficult on this bass. // 8

Reliability & Durability: As said before, this bass is almost indestructible. I bought an hardshell case with it so it wouldn't be smashed around to much. I sometimes quite tortured this bass on stage, but it seems to take the beating very well. This bass will never just fall apart on stage, so I actually don't have a heavy backup-bass. Pods are rock solid and the tuners won't make this bass go out of tune at any time. There are a few minor disadvantages: the finish is not scratch-resistant (I've got a few scratches on the back and front of the body). Besides that, you'll have to dust this thing off quite a lot (dust is easily visible). // 8

Overall Impression: This bass comes in very good when playing the heavy stuff, it won't let you down. On the other hand, it's a bit to heavy sometimes and keeping it flawless is hard. // 8

Damian-4 Reviewed by: rockin_da_bass, on december 11, 2009

Features: This bass was bought new and was made this year. It features a maple, bolt-on neck with a rosewood finger-board, with black-pearl bats inlayed, and 24 jumbo frets. It is a solid top made of bass wood with a matte black finish. The bridge is Schecter custom. It has two EMG-35HZ pick-ups and an active electronics system with vol/blend/EMG 2-band EQ. It has Schecter, non-locking tuners. All around great. // 10

Sound: I play mostly rock, metal, and some punk and this bass is absolutely perect! It has great bottom-end and a very deeop tone regardless of where you play on the neck. It has great bass sound but I think it sounds better with thicker strings. Its only flaw is when you do any slap-pop. The ton weakens drastically and becomes tinny. I've tried several EQ settings on my amp (Acoustic b-10) and the sound has not improved. In short it's an excellent rock bass but not good for jazz/funk. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this guitar the only thing that needed to be done was some tuning. Everything was secure and as it should be. I've adjusted the action once in the past but only to experiment with sound, ultimately it was fine. Nothin else with he fit and finish needed adjustment. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar does wonderfully live! I have never had problems with it and I never have to tune up in the middle of a gig. Everything about it is solid except the finish. I don't play with a pick so it presents no problem but if you do it would. I do, however, wear studded belts and they do a number on the back as I move around alot. Peronally a few character marks don't bother me but if you play with a pick than expect some majos one's. // 9

Overall Impression: As I said before I play rock and there is no better match in this price range for my style. I've been playing for a year but don't be fooled, I've learned alot and even with what I've learned if I had it to do over this would still be my bass. If someone stole my bass I would hunt them down and steal it right back and if it were lost I would go buy me another one! I love this bass's tone and agressive yet under-stated look. My one and only complaint is the weight. I'm a girl, a small one at that, and I realize that basses are big and heavy but this one is just a little heavier than most. While this is not a deal-breaker for me it is something to take into consideration for you smaller bass players. Besides that I love the feel and the contoures. All in all it's an excellent bass and it's a great instrument for the price. // 9

Comments