DV-4 Devil Custom review by Schecter

Schecter: DV-4 Devil Custom

Purchased from: MusiciansFriend

I play in an alternative/hard rock band with influences ranging from Chevelle to Godsmack to Beaking Benjamin to whoever else. We even play those old sappy songs everyone in the bars love such as Clapton, Skynard, and Tom Petty. This bass is amazing sound-wise. If you are a rocker, this bass will suit you just fine, even for heavy metal (I play a lot of 5FDP and Trivium at home). I think it would be great for any style, although it may not look great for every style. I play through an Acoustic half stack (4x10 cab and B200 head) and this puppy growls and thumps like no other bass I have ever played. Fits me perfectly. Action was perfect out of the box, and D'Addario strings fit it just fine. The placement of the pickups is pretty good, and the MM is very comfortable for resting my thumb on while using fingers. Overall, the sound is great for hard rock and probably would fit any style well.

Great sound, awesome looks, and VERY comfortable to play. This bass has a smaller body than most, and is very light. Good balance throughout. I would replace it in a heartbeat because it is a definite eye-catcher, and sounds awesome. The only thing I would replace or change is the size of the body. It is pretty damn small. But don't worry, standing up in comfy and the neck stays where you need it.

Everything is good and solid, and so far it has done well in live situations. However, I have only had it for three weeks, so we will have to wait and see. I will give it a 5 just because I do not know for sure. All I can say is that my Stiletto has never let me down, and Schecter makes a high quality instrument from what I have seen.

Everything was perfect out of the box. Well done Schecter. This bass is absolutely beautiful up close.

Construction: Set neck Body: mahogany Neck: 3-piece mahogany Scale: 34" Fingerboard: Rosewood Frets: 24 jumbo Inlays: black pearloid tribal Pickups: EMG-Hz MM Electronics: Vol-EMG Active 2-band EQ (with selectable frequencies) Bridge: Schecter custom-string thru-body (or top load) Tuners: Schecter Hardware: black chrome This bass has 24 jumbo frets with a beautiful tribal design on the fretboard. MM style humbucker at the bridge and a soap-bar humbucker at the neck position (both EMG). Did not come with any accessories, which was a major bummer because for such a beautiful guitar, a gig bag would have been nice to protect it during shipping. This is just a custom model based on the DV-4 basses. The differences are the color of the bass and hardware, the fretboard inlays, and extra humbucker.

EpiExplorer
    Sweet looking. All basses sound good really, just depends on the EQ and the volume. Thing is though, theres a lot of Schechters going around in these reviews. Thought I'd put that out there, to all the paranoid people.. :3 So.. $349 would be around 225 or 250 which is pretty good for something that looks that tasty XD and an EMG Hz to boot too. Nice buy it seems :3
    khujo1023
    Uhm... no...
    khujo1023
    EpiExplorer
    khujo1023 wrote: Sweet looking. All basses sound good really, just depends on the EQ and the volume What? Uhm... No. I love Schecters though, own 3 of them and they have never let me down.
    Yes, YES, OH GOD YES! *doo doo doddle doddle doo doo doooo doo, doo doo doddle doddle doo doo dooo doo*
    Starkie
    If you want to see the DV-4 Devil like I own, just search for it on musiciansfriend.com. But yeah, not all basses sound good, but any bass can sound bad if you do not know what you are doing.
    Vypor
    I dont know, I haven't ever had any luck with schecter basses. They always seem to have all the cool electronics and hardware, and they always seem to be flashy/look nice. But every time i've ever picked up a schecter bass to play it, ive been the epitome of disapointed. Rattly strings, bad action, poor string spacing, its just not a fun bass player recipe.
    Starkie
    The strings are close together on my schecters, but for me that is a good thing because of my smaller hands. But I do agree with you.
    benx3000
    CptRevell wrote: String spacing is the main problem I have with Schecter basses.
    AHHHHH same here theyre hard to slap on, which is a shame because they sound like they were almost made for that. Otherwise, theyre really really awesome for grindcore and things of the like.
    loudfasthard
    string spacing is a little narrow at first but once i became used to it, i play much faster / smoother with less fatigue and strain. only prob. is my guitarist had issues when "quick-glancing" my position on the fretboard if he falls-out or falters- The tribal inlay is very intricate and detailed; but he also adapted and we are both very happy with the sound-his Gibson Les Paul harmonizes with my DV-4 much better than with my Warlock Bronze IV
    loudfasthard
    this bass kicks ass enough for schecter to re-issue the DV-4 "Devil Ltd." in black & avail. at the end of aug. '10 . I personally own this model and haven't had one regret or issue since Oct.'09 If all the black sell quick , maybe they'll re-issue the Black Cherry Ltd. to add to my collection. AT THAT PRICE for SUCH QUALITY and features i may buy a spare and use one for studio and one for the road