Hellraiser-4 Review

review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Hellraiser-4 Reviewed by: zichy1, on november 19, 2008

Price paid: A$ 1365

Purchased from: Billy Hyde Music

Features: This was a brand spanking new purchase, made this year. This bass features a thru-neck whcih produces some incredible sustain. It is a solid body mahogany with figured maple and is stained a beautiful deep black cherry. The body headstick also has beautiful abalone bindings. The neck is multi-laminate maple & walnut/rosewood with 24 jumbo frets and black pearl 'Gothic Cross' inlays. The bass has EMG HZ pickups with Vol/Blend/ Active 18-Volt 2-band EQ (with selectable treble frequencies). All the hardware is black chrome, the tuners are Schecter custom and the bridge is a Schecter Custom String Thru Body (or Top Load). // 10

Sound: The sound from this bass is BIG! The highs are clear but not tinny and the lows are deep and ballsy without any of the drop going from the tops notes to the bottom, yet there is absolutely no string buzz at all. I run this trhough and Eden Nemesis RS-700 amp and in a gig situation, the bass controls the room, ther eis no backing of from this. This bass is extremely versatile, I've played it from a full on hard rock situation to soft background music and it adapts extremely well. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I cannot fault this set up of the bass. It was right to go out of the case. Everything was perfect, fast set action, pickups at the right height, everything was just the way I liked it. This bass was literally flawless when it arrived and I have had to do since I have had it is raise the E adn A strings ever so slightly. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had this bass long at all, but in the 6 weeks I have, I have gigged it heavily, and it has passed with flying colours. The hardware hasn't missed a beat, it still sounds like it's just come out of the box. I still haven't had to change the battery yet either. I can so count on this bass and not need to worry about a back-up. I can get it out of the case and play it straight off. After 6 weeks of heavy gigging it still looks new. // 10

Overall Impression: After trying heaps of basses over the past few years (I've has ESP's, Trabens and Epiphones, whcih I've reviewed, plus gigged MM's, Fenders and Ibanez's) I have come to the conclussion that Schecter basses suits me perfectly, they are a bit querky but solid perfomers. It sound great playing just about any style of music. I've been playing now for 16 years, and it it now the only bass I will gig with, so it says something about this bass. It feels great to play Live, an amazingly solid bass, yet I was surprised at how lightweight it was. It's well contoured, it feel great just to hold and play. If it was stolen, I would hunt down the person Who stole it and do very very painful things to them, if it was lost, I would replace it in a second. I have absolutely no complaints about this bass, and from the moment I opened the case for the first time I was blown away. Overall, a fantastic value for money, amzingly well priced for the high end value bass. // 10

Comments