Raiden Special-5 review by Schecter

Schecter: Raiden Special-5

After my Ibanez SR405 crapped out, I needed a new bass. Preferably with singlecoils. I wasn't gonna spend $1000 on an American Jazz Bass and guitar center of course didn't have any Fender 5 strings anyways (didn't have time to wait for an order either). I played a Squier Jazz Bass, a few other Schecters, another Ibanez, and then this caught my eye. Plugged it into an Acoustic halfstack and it sounded pretty dang good! I play in a rock band which is why I wanted a jazz bass and this thing can do the jazz bass sound due to the coil tap! But when we play covers and we need that extra thick bass, I take off the coil tap and viola, nice deep bass. I love the sound of this over my friends Schecter Stiletto which is almost double the price. don't expect the sound of a 1970s Fender Jazz Bass though.

Overall its an awesome bass for the price. The coil tap is what really does it for me. It can be played with a wide variety of music whether its metal or blues. Its very easy to play and if something happened to it and I couldn't get a Fender Jazz, I'd buy this thing in a heartbeat.

I've played about 5 or 6 shows with this bass and it does awesome. I've had 0 problems with it so far. I'd play a show without a backup (but of course I'm not stupid and always have one just in case).

The only reason it didn't get a 10 is because the pick-ups were WAYYY too high. The strings kept hitting them and would make a very loud popping noise. Lowered them and now everything is fine. Stays in tune, very nice action, everything was nice and tight.

If I'm correct, this is a newer model bass and Schecter has done a heck of a job with it. 24 X-Jumbo frets, basswood body w/ quilted maple top, maple bolt on neck with rosewood fretboard, Schecter SuperRock bass pickups with coil tap. It has a volume for each pickup and a tone know which is also the coil split too.

techbassist22
    I bought this bass 4 months ago, it is a great bass for the price but if you need strings in a pinch you won't find them, this bass is a 34" scale with body thru strings so this bass requires EXTRA long scale which not even Guitar Center where I bought this bass in store carries the strings in store other than that issue great bass
    ibanez124
    Just bought this bass a month ago, and it is the S**t! I highly reccomend this bass to anyone.
    Zip!
    I've been using a Raiden 4 for ~18 months now. Love it. I've been playing guitar for some years (both acoustic & electric) and fancied a bass, so with some knowledge & experience I bought it as a "student" instrument - I wanted something to learn on that would help my learning rather than hinder it, without costing the earth. It goes well beyond my expectations. My Bass tutor is well impressed, and I would merrily gig with it. Out of the box it needed just a tiny tweak to the setup as the intonation was a tad out on one string - but nothing that 30s with a screwdriver couldn't fix. Everything else was bob on. As mentioned above, the coil tap is great - I've had this plugged into an Ashdown MAG and also a H&K Basskick - it does everything I need it to and more. It wouldn't be fair to compare the Schecter to a real high-end instrument - let's face it, it's a ~£300 bass. In it's class though, you'd be hard pushed to beat it.