Raiden Special-5 Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 02/16/2012 category: Bass Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Schecter: Raiden Special-5
 7.6
 8.2
 3,360
review (1) pictures (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Raiden Special-5 Reviewed by: mrsixstrings12, on february 16, 2012

Features: If I'm correct, this is a newer model bass and Schecter has done a heck of a job with it. 24 X-Jumbo frets, basswood body w/ quilted maple top, maple bolt on neck with rosewood fretboard, Schecter SuperRock bass pickups with coil tap. It has a volume for each pickup and a tone know which is also the coil split too. // 7

Sound: After my Ibanez SR405 crapped out, I needed a new bass. Preferably with singlecoils. I wasn't gonna spend $1000 on an American Jazz Bass and guitar center of course didn't have any Fender 5 strings anyways (didn't have time to wait for an order either). I played a Squier Jazz Bass, a few other Schecters, another Ibanez, and then this caught my eye. Plugged it into an Acoustic halfstack and it sounded pretty dang good! I play in a rock band which is why I wanted a jazz bass and this thing can do the jazz bass sound due to the coil tap! But when we play covers and we need that extra thick bass, I take off the coil tap and viola, nice deep bass. I love the sound of this over my friends Schecter Stiletto which is almost double the price. don't expect the sound of a 1970s Fender Jazz Bass though. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The only reason it didn't get a 10 is because the pick-ups were WAYYY too high. The strings kept hitting them and would make a very loud popping noise. Lowered them and now everything is fine. Stays in tune, very nice action, everything was nice and tight. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've played about 5 or 6 shows with this bass and it does awesome. I've had 0 problems with it so far. I'd play a show without a backup (but of course I'm not stupid and always have one just in case). // 10

Overall Impression: Overall its an awesome bass for the price. The coil tap is what really does it for me. It can be played with a wide variety of music whether its metal or blues. Its very easy to play and if something happened to it and I couldn't get a Fender Jazz, I'd buy this thing in a heartbeat. // 8

Comments