Stiletto Custom-4 review by Schecter

Schecter: Stiletto Custom-4

Purchased from: eBay

I Play metal music mainly, in a band called Valour (www.myspace.com/valour05), and we have a sound like a darker, heavier Avenged Sevenfold. For this, I required a bass with a thin, fast neck for the speed of some of the riffs, with fat punchy low end, and smooth top end. This bass delivered all that and more. With the quality of the pickups smacking you right in the face, you haven't heard anything until you plug this monster into a 400W Half Stack, the sound absolutely rips through walls. The Active EQ allows you to produce so many different sounds with this bass, which is what really sells it for me. The only problem I encountered was earthing, which I will explain in more detail in the Action, Fit & Finish section.

For the Metal/Hard Rock music I play, I could not ask for a better sounding bass. I have played many different basses, ranging between 400 and 1500, and belive it or not, this is the best quality I have played and owned. Take it from me; you DON'T need to splash out a fortune for a top quality instrument, Schecter really have outdone themselves with this guitar, and everything about it is simply amazing. Also, don't be fooled into thinking that this bass is simply for metal and rock music. I am also a fan of Blues, Alternative, Progressive, and this bass delivers everytime. I can tune this bass down to Drop A, and it still manages to retain the clarity of every note. This really is the most versatile instrument I have ever owned, and the tuning is surprisingly stable. A definite Must-Buy. If you have any questions, or would like to hear some clips of the bass, feel free to e-mail me, or add me on MSN on: himynameistoby@hotmail.co.uk

Being in a band, my instruments have to be sturdy, reliable, great sounding and comfortable. The Stiletto Custom 3 delivers everything. I never have to have a backup bass for gigs, because this simply is all I need. I'm only slightly worried that over time, the Hardware's Satin Gold finish may start to tarnish, however there is no sign of that at all as of yet. The strap buttons are secure, and can withstand even the most energetic of gigs, not once has my strap ever slipped off, and not once has a strap button ever come loose. Due to the natural finish the wood is prone to being scratched and dented perhaps more easily than a guitar with a lacquered finish, but by taking care of the instrument, this is easily avoided. Simply the most reliable guitar I have ever purchased.

There was only one flaw with this bass, and it had something to do with the setup of the wiring under the battery back panel. When I first plugged the bass into my practise amp, there was a faint crackling sound, I couldn'tcntrol knob, and the crackling became very loud, very consistent, and the sound of the bass was horrid. However, after playing the bass for a few minutes this crackling disappeared, just to start again when I next picked up my instrument. I took it to a music shop for the guitar technicians to have a look at, and it turned out that a wire was simply unearthed. However, that said, there was absolutely nothing else wrong with this bass, it came standard with D'Addario XL strings, which deliver a fantastic tone, and the intonation is perfect, along with the action, and overall feel of the guitar. It is a guitar which is Set up to play in the USA, so you cannot compromise with the quality.

Easily one of the best musical I've ever bought. The Stiletto Custom 4 has 24 Jumbo frets, on a 34" scale neck. The neck is a Bolt-On, but with 6 bolts, not the standard 4. This ensures a much more stable neck, which plays and feels amazing. I have the Natural finish with Satin Gold hardware. The body is mahogany with flamed maple top; looks and sounds beautiful. The Stiletto custom has an S-Tek bridge, which is simple to use when replacing strings, and an incredibly sturdy bridge. It has a Volume, Blend and a 12db active EQ, allowing a Bass & Treble cut or boost. This guitar comes standard with EMG-HZ pickups, which require the use of a battery, but sound absolutely massive. They are very versatile pickups, with the option to be moulded for almost any music style.

A_Lesser_Evil
    this bass is awesome, mine sounds great and it never goes out of tune. I can tune it in the garge, pack it up and go to a gig and when i get on stage it's still in perfect tune.
    matosh.lee
    it looks like it sucks cause one idiot forgot to fill out the rest of his review. giving the bass an overall 1.8 for his review.
    dnoel8
    "For this, I required a bass with a thin, fast neck for the speed of some of the riffs, with fat punchy low end, and smooth top end. This bass delivered all that and more." I listened to your band and was almost completely unable to hear the bass, dude.
    Shinsen88
    I own the Custom-5 (5 string version of this bass) and it's awesome. I haven't had it go out of tune hardly at all and it sounds great. Highly recommended.
    Cantplay4penuts
    Haunted_Shell wrote: I used to own one of these but sold it within a week after because it's horrible.
    dude, why would you buy a bass without trying it for a day at the shop, ive tried my newest guitar for atleast 3 hours in the shop before i decided to get it, and the guitatrs i was looking at before i looked at for ages to
    Cb4rabid
    Great looking bass, very light but the pickups give it a really flat tone for my taste. EMG Hzs just dont do this bass justice