Stiletto Custom-4 review by Schecter

Schecter: Stiletto Custom-4

Purchased from: Guitar Center, Killeen, TX

My music style is mostly rock/punk, and this bass fits the bill very well. It handles Dropped C nicely, along with other tunings. I use a Line 6 Low Down amp with a DigiTech BP90 multi-effects pedal with my Schecter. If you have all the controls up to the highest, inside my amp its sounds buzzy and distorted, so I have to watch my controls when plugged in there. It doesn't do slap very well unless it it's in standard, but it sounds awesome when popping. It has a very nice variety in the sounds that it can make.

I play rock/hard rock/punk and sometimes jazz. It can handle mostly rock and metal. I've been playing for just over a year now, and I have a Line 6 Low Down bass amp, a DigiTech BP90 Bass Modeling Processor, and I have an acoustic Ibanez bass. I wish I could have asked how old it was, because I don't know how much longer it will last me. If it was stolen, I would probably buy a different bass, or hunt down the person who stole it and get it back. I love how light it is, because my last bass was a Fender Squire and it was pretty heavy and made my shoulder sore after playing. I love how smooth and fast the neck it on it. I hate that the truss rod it very sensitive and doesn't work well with me. I love the natural finish on the bass. I compared it to an ESP 5 string bass, but I decided on this bass because they didn't have the ESP available for playing at the store, and the strings would have cost me more. I wish it had a better cut out nut at the top.

The bass is very light and it has a natural finish instead of gloss or paint, which won't chip as easily. It's very durable for being as light as it is. I haven't had to mess with any of the strings, and they haven't given me any problems. The hardware consists of EMG pickups; enough said there. The strap button's screws do get loose sometimes so I have to tighten them a lot. I would trust this bass for anything, I love it's reliability. Although I always have a back-up because I never trust anything that well. As I said, it's a natural finish, I don't think it will wear off any time soon.

As I said earlier, I bought it used, so the last owner would have to decide that. But I did get a lot of buzz when I first got it so I had to adjust the action on that. I don't like how you have to take all the strings off and the plastic plate to get to the truss rod, I like being able to access it easier. The pickups were very nice. They shorted out when I brought it home and started playing, but all I had to do was replace the battery in the back and it was good again. One of the controls have a little more wiggle room than the others so it feels a lot looser.

I don't know what year it was made, I bought it used at Guitar Center. It's a 24- fret bass, the neck is slim and sleek and it's a 6 bolt on. The body Mahogany with a Satin Gold, or natural finish with the Stiletto style body. It has EMG-35HZ active pickups with master volume, master blend, EMG Active 2 band equalizer controls. It has the Schecter S-Tek bridge and very nice quality tuners, and it is 34". The neck wood is multi-laminate maple and walnut. The fretboard is rosewood with offset inlays.