Stiletto Custom-5 review by Schecter

Schecter: Stiletto Custom-5

Purchased from: used, guitarcenter.com

Beautiful sounding. Lots of choices with the tone knobs, makes a huge difference in your sound - take some time to experiment with all positions and the pups and tone pots. Little bit of hiss when the treble tone is turned all the way up - I think it'll be an easy fix once I open her up and check the solder points and do a little bit of handywork on it - but for being used, and knowing that the previous owner wasn't the most friendly to this bass - it's perfectly acceptable. It's not a permanent problem, because if I give a good whack to the knobs the hiss stops, or sometimes it's not there at all. Easy fix, just hasn't been a big enough issue for me to be concerned about yet.

Sometimeshandsareheavy.com - we play hard rock. Playing this through a Crate right now, which can barely handle the low B, but it does well. Going to be playing this through an Ashdown MAG 300 soon. If it was stolen I would definitely buy another, the exact same one or an upgraded Schecter. I went to GC and played a music man, Gibson bass, and few others - Schecter wins. It always wins.

I bought this used, not sure how many owners - but you can tell from the body that it has been heavily played - lotta little belt scratches and some scrapping on the front - but the sound of the bass is still mint. Everything works great. I love how well this bass stays in tune, even after thrashing on it. My band is hard rock, but we also play jazzy stuff in our set - we're all about the roller coaster of emotion and diversity, and a few of our songs are metal-esque and like Converge - during those parts I literally go nuts while playing and will BANG BANG BANG hard on the strings, sometimes even punching them very hard - and I'm very pleased when the guitar stays in tune through the entire thing. The only time the tuning changes is due to temperature outside, which is very normal on any guitar.

Awesome action, awesome fit, awesome finish. I bought my guitar used, and it was scratched up a little bit - but no one notices except me - everyone loves the look, it's very classy, very noticeable. I'm excited to paint mine white (band theme) and then grunge it up over the years to expose the BEAUTIFUL wood grain underneath, I just love it.

Not gonna repeat a lot of stuff that is found elsewhere, but the active EQ on this sounds sweet. The neck is also very very smooth, my favorite part about Schecter products. Love the full scale, the intonation on the upper 12 frets is almost spot on. Tuners are golden, both in color and quality. Love the bridge, haven't had to change the strings yet but it looks very simply for any experienced guitar player.