Stiletto Elite-4 review by Schecter

Schecter: Stiletto Elite-4

This bass suits my everywhere playing style nicely. My style is just whatever has a catchy bass line, be it Ice Ice Baby (Yea. Vanilla Ice.) or Cat and Mouse by Red Jumpsuit. I did have problems with the upper pickup on my amp, it would buzz when i had it turned up with the blend. But this was only on my amp, so the bass isn't to blame. It had a nice full sound, from mellow to growly. You have a lot of variety in your hands when you pick this bass up.

I play anything from Iron Butterfly to Lazy to Whatever I feel like. It's a good match for me, because it gives me plenty of tonal versatility with a low price. The only thing I wish I had asked for when I bought this was nothing. I picked it up and I felt the power surge through my finger tips. If this were stolen by someone, I would get a new bass from my warranty, find the guy that stole my bass, beat him over the head with a tire iron, and take it back. That way, I'd have two basses. When I decided to get a bass, I compared it to a Fender 2007 American Standard Jazz. It was a super close battle, with the Schecter coming out on top because it has more aesthetically. I wish it had nicer inlays and pretty LEDs. The standard white dots are kinda boring, but the 12th inlay (A mother of pearl Diamond) Is pretty nice.

This guitar will stand up to Live playing, provided you take a little care about it. It holds fingerprints all too well, so you might want to have a polishing cloth. The finish does scratch if you're stupid and drag the thing, but it's a solid bass. The strap buttons are a great size and they're dependable (But still get lockers). Yea, you can go without a backup.

The action was amazingly low, but i did get some fret buzz on the E string, but that was easily remedied. The pickups were adjusted correctly, and the top was purdy. Yes. Purdy. The bridge was set up right too with intonation. I didn't have any problems when i got the bass.

The 2009 Schecter Elite-4 is made in South Korea. It has 24 jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard. The neck is 5piece neck-thru, made of a maple/walnut lamination. The body wings are solid mahogany with curly maple tops. It's a gorgeous bass, with a see-thru black gloss finish that really shows off the curly maple. The body is like a european Fender thing, being ergonomic like a Fender, with slight differences. You have a combo topload/string-thru bridge with active electronics. You got a Master Volume, 2 tone knobs and a master blend knob (basically, you can blend in how much of the bridge pickup or neck pickup you want. You get two EMGhz pickups with one at the neck, and one at the bridge. You have Schecter non-locking tuners that hold up pretty well. It comes with some allen wrenches too (Oh so special!) For $750 you're getting this gorgeous bass that's awesomesauce.

matosh.lee
    i love my bass and i got the 5. but whats with everybody paying 700+ for it? i got mine for 500...
    danny_plantain
    shit, i got the elite 5 for 350, felt like i raped the salesman. love the guitar, wouldn't trade it for the world
    KwikKopy
    The picture has 5 strings!?! Pretty sure my next bass is a Schecter or Fender. This is an option, but I'll probably never make a decision.
    thewickerman512
    koalabacon
    Synyster421 wrote: just thought I would point out that you have a picture of the stiletto elite-5 I believe, not the elite-4...so...yeah lol
    whatever. same hardware, same basic instrument, the pic just has one more string. people get the idea.
    shelldevnull
    thewickerman512 wrote: This bass suits my everywhere playing style nicely. My style is just whatever has a catchy bass line, be it Ice Ice Baby (Yea. Vanilla Ice.) or Cat and Mouse by Red Jumpsuit. ...The Ice Ice Baby bassline is a rip-off of Queen's bassline for Under Pressure. Almost any musician worth anything knows that.
    You know, it doesn't matter who wrote it first, it gets used over and over again. A musician might know Queen used it. But EVERYONE knows the signature line from Ice Ice Baby.
    Demarkos
    This bass is the next one i'll be buying when i have some money. It in my opinion is the best bass that schector has. I can play jazz with it flawlessly i might add. I also can play low end technical deathmetal with it. Without it sounding to bright or 2 "poppy" The tonal range is just magnificient.
    Demarkos
    ohairston
    This bass was a pleasant surprise. I ended buying a 2 Elite Fours, One Studio Four and a Five string. I use this bass more then Marcus Miller Fender Jazz Bass. On one gig someone asked me if the Schecter Studio Four was an Alembic. WHAT A COMPLIMENT.
    ohairston
    ohairston wrote: This bass was a pleasant surprise. I ended buying a 2 Elite Fours, One Studio Four and a Five string. I use this bass more than my Marcus Miller Fender Jazz Bass. On one gig someone asked me if the Schecter Studio Four was an Alembic. WHAT A COMPLIMENT.
    shelldevnull
    Demarkos wrote: So i recommend it to anyone that's looking 2 upgrade thier bass's. Not a very 'begginer' bass more intermediate to expert bass.
    It is actually quite good for a beginning bass, following my creed of: Don't buy a cheap one to start, because you'll end up spending more in the run of buying a beginning one, then an intermediate one and finally an advance one. Why not get a higher end one that can do it all, not need replacing, and maintain a resale value should you choose not to like it?