Stiletto Extreme-5 review by Schecter

Schecter: Stiletto Extreme-5

I use the Extreme for all kinds of music but mainly jazz and rock. I play it through a Warwick Take 12 and it sounds pretty good. Tone is missing a bit of low end though, due to the pickups being Schecter, not EMG-HZ, and also the basswood body. Harmonics come through too much; it's hard to get notes to end cleanly. It does have a very nice mid-range though, and suits slap tones very well.

It's a good match for faster playing and jazz. The tone is more suited for rock/metal though. This model has recently been discontinued, it is no longer on the website. Probably because not enough people were buying them. I only bought it because it was on sale, and I'm very happy with it. If it were stolen, I'd probably get a MusicMan or a Yamaha, a better one. But the Stiletto Extreme-5 is all I could have asked for in my first 5 string.

Very reliable. Used without backup on tour in Europe. Had a few bumps inside the gig bag and scrapes with concrete walls but no damage to the bass. None at all. I was surprised at how well this bass could handle being abused, it's very sturdy. I don't have another bass at the moment, so I have to depend on it. The finish is set to last, I believe, as long as you take care of it and keep it clean! Strap buttons are solid as a rock.

Factory set-up was OK. Fret buzz at the lower end of the neck made lower notes sound muddy, however, and the G string was lowered too much. After adjusting the action, it was perfect. Pickups were adjusted well, and bridge was routed properly. After a while the input jack came loose and I had to fix that up, but not a big problem. Overall pretty good.

This bass was made in China. It features a basswood body finished in honey sunburst and a 35" 6 bolt-on maple neck with Vector inlays. Schecter active humbuckers and electronics system, with volume, blend, treble and bass controls. Schecter tuners. Lead and allen keys included.

6_Feet_Below
    this thing is amazing. its like a C1 Hellraiser bass only no quite as cool (i love that guitar)
    isabiggles
    That bass is just beautiful... I'd like to hear how it sounds though. Great paintjob.
    Fett13
    Shinsen88
    Schecter makes some awesome stuff. I've got the Stiletto Custom-5 (the one with EMGs) and it just sounds so amazing... I haven't played this particular model before, though. Check that one out if you're interested in a Schecter 5 string.
    pingu45
    The annoying thing is that the input jack keeps coming UNSCREWED!!! It happened in the middle of a song and the bass just stopped playing... embarrassing
    SOADriff
    Fett13 wrote: It isn't discontinued, its just not (and from what I've seen, never was)made widely available in the US. Its still there so long as you change your location to anything else. But yeah, sales on these aren't too great either way because they're essentially glorified Stiletto deluxes, just have a different paint scheme. Still on the website though- (http://www.schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?... Also, Schecter basses are made in South Korea (not China) and set up (quality control, intonation, etc.) in Burbank, CA. Not that big a difference, but I thought it was worth pointing out. Everything else in there is accurate and well done though, which is a nice change of pace from most Schecter reviews I've seen lately. I'm picky about these things, they don't call me Schecterman for nothing.
    yeah man they still make em, i just bought one in australia, where schecters are absolutely scarce. sweet bass =)
    RhappIPM
    I bought a Schecter deluxe 5 (same thing but black) and the only thing wrong with its the pickups, so i put emgs in it and it goed from 7/10 to 9/10.
    jonathanb9772
    My 06 Schecter Extreme 4's made in China. I'm surrently trying to find out if anyone's importing Schecter's in the UK. I feel some affinity for the brand, I must say. They seem to offer considerable quality and character for the money.
    akemmerer
    Stiletto Extreme 5 pictured, crafted in indonesia, my 5th bass, 3rd 5 string, and by far a mean motherf**k*r. Nothing wrong when i bought it, set up to play, jacked right to my GK Blackline 600 head with a Genz Benz 300W 1x15 twin front port cab, pumps metal easily and supports a deep groove sound with some nice room to maneuver, setting it up in my friend's studio, can't wait to hear what other sounds i can dig from it. Very comfortable to play with a planet waves cushioned and wide strap. Killer Bass, props to Schecter Guitar Research.