Stiletto Extreme-5 review by Schecter

Schecter: Stiletto Extreme-5

This is an Indonesian-made 24-Fret, 35" scale, 5-string bass. Year unknown, but seems relatively new. It comes with balance, tone, bass and volume knobs and an active EQ. The body is mahogany with a quilted maple top. My bass came with the cherry burst finish. The neck is a maple with rosewood fretboard and is a bolt-on with 6 screws. The pickups and tuners are both in-house Schecter designs. The 9V battery is included in the control cavity and does not have a separate location. As I purchased this used, no additional accessories came with the bass.

I lean towards metal, but with my poor attempts of Queen, Dio, Incubus, Rage Against the Machine, Korn, Veil of Maya and Periphery, this bass isn't the problem. The 35" scale should be beneficial with the low B string. I played this through a Peavey Max 112 200W amp and had no issue (poorly) imitating songs. I didn't notice any noise issues. While my skills are the weak point in the equation, I don't feel the bass is a limiting factor in the direction I'd like to go. The action allowed me to easily pull off slap and pop and still use fingers on the strings. Trying "Pardon Me" "Mikasa" or "Another One Bites the Dust", the sound was there with some refinement on my part.

As stated, this was purchased used, but I don't get the impression the previous owner had it it long. I may have to adjust the neck pickup height a down a touch if my technique does not address the low B hitting it. Without measuring the action, it seems quite low, but no buzzing. The finish has some slight nicks on the top-coat, but otherwise fine. All screws seemed tight. One screw was missing on the control cavity. The control cavity cover was a little too tight, which is a notable issue with the battery location inside.

This bass has a chunky neck that Schecter is (in)famous for. While it's not thin like the Ibanez SR series, the neck was comfortable and presented no issues with string access. The fret ends were in good shape, having no sharp ends. High fret access is also impressive, if you require that feature.

If I ever have an opportunity to do so, I feel like this would be a solid gigging bass. It feels like a solid instrument. I feel like you could fight someone with it and go back to playing. Everything was tight. The finish may have gotten a little banged up, but otherwise, the bass came in good shape. I need to go polish the body and see what that does, but any dings seem "skin deep" for lack of better wording. I think someone would have to get purposely abusive with this bass for real damage to show up.

It feels relatively light, but it's not enough to cause neck dive. The body is thinner, so that probably offset's some of the weight from the mahogany it's made from.

As stated, I prefer metal and I think this bass is best suited for harder styles. I've been playing guitar for about a year and a half and got a bass to compliment that. I had sat down and tried the Ibanez SR305, Yamaha TRBX305, Sterling Ray5 and Fender and Squier 5-string basses. I'd been leaning towards the Yamaha's, but the price and familiarity with Schecter's Stiletto line in my testing and owning a Damien 6 already, I felt comfortable jumping on this when some of the other used options fell through. While the neck is not as thin as Ibanez or Yamaha, it proved no issue when playing. It felt like a solid instrument. The only real issue I felt at all was the overly tight-fitting control cavity cover because the battery for the active EQ needs periodic replacement.

I would definitely buy this again, even if I had to pay the $500-700 retail price.