Stiletto Extreme-5 Review

manufacturer: Schecter date: 06/12/2008 category: Bass Guitars
Schecter: Stiletto Extreme-5
Schecter Diamond Stiletto Extreme 5 -- 5 string electric bass with basswood body, maple top, bolt-on maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, vector inlays, 24 frets, 34" scale, 2x Schecter bass humbucker pick-ups, active EQ, black hardware.
 8.1
 7.6
 8.6
 5,247
review (1) 14 comments vote for this gear:
Stiletto Extreme-5 Reviewed by: pingu45, on june 12, 2008

Features: This bass was made in China. It features a basswood body finished in honey sunburst and a 35" 6 bolt-on maple neck with Vector inlays. Schecter active humbuckers and electronics system, with volume, blend, treble and bass controls. Schecter tuners. Lead and allen keys included. // 8

Sound: I use the Extreme for all kinds of music but mainly jazz and rock. I play it through a Warwick Take 12 and it sounds pretty good. Tone is missing a bit of low end though, due to the pickups being Schecter, not EMG-HZ, and also the basswood body. Harmonics come through too much; it's hard to get notes to end cleanly. It does have a very nice mid-range though, and suits slap tones very well. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory set-up was OK. Fret buzz at the lower end of the neck made lower notes sound muddy, however, and the G string was lowered too much. After adjusting the action, it was perfect. Pickups were adjusted well, and bridge was routed properly. After a while the input jack came loose and I had to fix that up, but not a big problem. Overall pretty good. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Very reliable. Used without backup on tour in Europe. Had a few bumps inside the gig bag and scrapes with concrete walls but no damage to the bass. None at all. I was surprised at how well this bass could handle being abused, it's very sturdy. I don't have another bass at the moment, so I have to depend on it. The finish is set to last, I believe, as long as you take care of it and keep it clean! Strap buttons are solid as a rock. // 9

Overall Impression: It's a good match for faster playing and jazz. The tone is more suited for rock/metal though. This model has recently been discontinued, it is no longer on the website. Probably because not enough people were buying them. I only bought it because it was on sale, and I'm very happy with it. If it were stolen, I'd probably get a MusicMan or a Yamaha, a better one. But the Stiletto Extreme-5 is all I could have asked for in my first 5 string. // 7

Comments