Stiletto Studio-5 review by Schecter

Schecter: Stiletto Studio-5

I play a lot of modern rock and the occasional slapping/tapping also. Its sound handles all of it perfectly. High or low. It's pretty quiet, if you turn the Treble knob all the way up you hear a very slight hissing noise but I've never found a bass that doesn't do that. It's not loud enough to really interfere with anything anyway so I don't care. I'd say this bass has a very bright sound, as do most Schecters I've played. If that's not your thing then this bass isn't for you. The 3-band EQ is very flexible so I can, get a variety of tones without having to walk up to the amp. Usefel for quick changes while your performing.

I'm in a band and play a lot of "Modern Rock." Bands like Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle, Finger Eleven, Shinedown, Crossfade, etc. Even a Primus song on occasion too as a test of my abilities. This baby can handle it beautifully. I've been playing for 2 years and own an Ibanez SR400 and a cheap Ibanez starter bass and the Schecter is my axe is choice. The low B string has a beautiful growl and it's high notes are very clear too. If it were stolen I'd buy it again, maybe the 6-String version instead for the added range but I'm happy with my fiver. The only thing I wish it had is a split bridge like the Elite does. The Studio has a high quality bridge though so I'm happy with it. If you're considering buying this, go for either this of the Elite. They're the two best basses in this price range.

This thing is built like a tank. I've dropped it, and the finish would be able to handle it without getting scratched or dented. I've spun it around and the strap stayed on the strap buttons. The strap buttons themselves are very reliable. It withstands Live playing easily and the bridge and tuners feel very solid. They won't need replacement any time soon, or ever. I depend on it fully and often it's the only bass I bring to my performances.

Overall, I was not very happy with the set-up. The action was a little high and the strings had a very "loose" feel to them (they were in tune also). I took it in for set-up at a local store for $20 and it felt much better. The screws on a few of the knobs were loose too but that was an easy fix. The wood that the pickup's screw was drilled into became stripped though so I had to refill the hole and rescrew it in again. The finish was beautiful though, not a scratch or dent in sight. It can take a beating too. I've banged my bass of soooo many things and I only have one tiny scratch on the bottom after an accident I had. Overall this bass needs some adjustments and doesn't play very well "out of the box." Nothing that can't be fixed though.

slapthebass11
    HZ's stock are passive... but schecter made them active. The difference between passive and active is the power source. Passive pickups acquire their power from the amplifier through the patch cable. Active pickups have a separate power source within the instrument via battery. The Schecter studio series and elite series have the same pickups and each use a battery source making the pickups active... read about the bass homes... i have one and i use 9 volt batteries
    Ne0Assass1n wrote: Comes stock with a pair of EMG HZ active pickups. HZs are passive
    Bassistboy
    I have this bass and like it. I wish I could've gotten a Warwick instead but Im happy.
    Rebus
    I did work experiance at a music store, I played every bass they had and I found this one was the best. Pity I don't have any money cause I could really see myself buying on of these.
    Englishjw
    I had two Stiletto Elite-5s before the Studio-5. I loved the fit and finish on the Elites (Honey Burst and Black Cherry) but find the Studio to have a great look. But the big advantage is the added tonal felxibility. Very fine bass by any criteria and a truly great bass for the money.
    ssabbass
    I've been wanting to make a permanent switch to a five string for a while now, and up until this week I just couldn't find a replacement for my current mainstay (custom Fender P-bass). I played a used studio-5 for the first time and to be honest I was only interested in the price $480.00 but after plugging it in and playing it, I was convinced. I've noticed that the reviews for this bass always mention how poorly they played out of the factory, I guess mine was well taken care of by the previous owner. I was actually able to lower the action even farther with only a minor truss adjustment and now its like silk and the B is tight and responsive. My favorite thing about it is how balanced this bass is. I wear it so that the top of the body is at my waist (kind of low) and I can still play any any where on the neck and not feel any tension in my wrist or added stress on my shoulder. It's like it's on a stand. Can't wait for the next rehearsal to really check out the Eq's possibilities. For the price it truly is the best bass I've ever owned.
    FirstMateJepeto
    I own a 6 string version of this... Couldn't have picked a better choice! Love the sound, feel... and the looks of course! It looks badass in STBS
    arizonagull
    slapthebass11 wrote: The difference between passive and active is the power source. Passive pickups acquire their power from the amplifier through the patch cable. Active pickups have a separate power source within the instrument via battery.
    Passive pickups are not powered by the amplifier...technically they are powered only by the vibration of the strings themselves. The magnets in the passive pickups generate small levels of voltage based on the string vibration and transmit that to the amp as a signal. Active pickups usually have smaller magnet but transmit a stronger signal due to a built-in pre-amp driven by a 9V battery.