Paul Stanley Apocalypse Special Review

manufacturer: Silvertone date: 12/10/2009 category: Bass Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Silvertone: Paul Stanley Apocalypse Special
 5.7
 6.8
 4.5
 1,250
review (1) pictures (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Paul Stanley Apocalypse Special Reviewed by: 6stringbassist, on december 10, 2009

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Features: I believe this was a 2006 model. To be honest I can't remember but I think Indonisia. 22 XJ Frets The neck is almost flat, and almost a C shape. It's funky.. Rosewood fretboard on a Maple neck Basswood body Metallic Black paint with Red bevels Just a regular bass bridge A passive single coil, and a split passive humbucker. Volume, Tone, and balance knobs. I think they're just straight up Silvertone pickups. The Tuners aren't anything special. // 7

Sound: It sounds [sounded] good for metal. It's got a lot of edge to it, but it can also get pretty warm. I played it thought a Peavey Maxx Bass 112 with a Boss NS-2 pedal. It's not too noisy unless you turn the edge up. It's kinda mild sound, its not really rich and full, but it's not like your playing nothing. It's really only got 3 sounds. Edgy, Kinda Edgy, not edgy. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was okay, I did lower it some to make it easier to play since I was just starting out. I've never needed to adjust the pick ups on this guitar ever. Everything else was great on it. I bought it used so there were some small chips on it, but other then that it was great. Everything was clean, tight, and nicely adjusted. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't really play a show with this guitar. I found it hard to play standing up. It's hard to play sitting down. I wouldn't gig with it without a back up. I would use it as a back up, because that's about all I can find it really useful for. The hardware is good. The strap buttons are about worthless. After it just popped of the strap the 4th time and fell top down I bought strap locks and haven't turned back from them. The high end on the pickups is really hard to produce after 4 years of playing on them, they're starting to go out. The finish should last a very long time. // 7

Overall Impression: I play metal, and this guitar seems to do that well, but nothing else. I've played for 4 years, and I have an ESP B-206 as well as a Behringer BRX1800H and an Acoustic B115. I have a Boss NS-2 pedal. It was great for a starter guitar, and I wish I would have asked about the life span and brand of pickups. If it were lost or stolen, I would be very upset, and I would try to find another but because its limited edition, I don't think you can buy any new ones. I love the body style and look of it. I hate the balance of the guitar. There's no certain feature I love about it. I can't really compare it to anything besides a Dean V. This bass looks better, and I feel like it's got a better sound. I wish it had a better strap button position. // 7

More Silvertone reviews rating category latest review
+ 1484 Twin Twelve 8.7 Guitar Amplifiers 04/18/2014