SSLB11 Revolver review by Silvertone

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
Silvertone: SSLB11 Revolver

The body and the neck sound surprizingly good! I was very pleased with it! The pickups were extremely decent too. It can deliver good highs and decent lows. I don't remember the soudn of the factory string (I got this thing 2 years ago), but with my favorite Rotosound Stainless steel strings it can deliver good lows, and decent (though slightly muddy) highs. Meh, I had to replace the pickup though (more on that on durability! No that is not good), and with it it sounds AWESOME! I was more than impressed with the construction of the wood and the neck! It accents my Seymor Duncan Reissue overwound Musicman Pickup very very well! And the amp isnt' too bad either! It delivers a surprizing amount of lows despite the small 8" speaker. But sadly it is quite tinny without being bright.. Meh, I guess it shaped my sound a bit though. Though it isn't suited for conventional playing, it is a good soudn for effect playing. Like a full "snare" snap. Or hammerons. And the pics that come with it! My GOD! They f--king sound cool! I have only found one manufacture that makes pic close to it! That is Fender with there monster triangle pics! Trust me! These things rule!

I say get it! Get the Bass by itself if you are looking for a project bass! The Bass will serve you extremely well. Samething goes for the amp and those pics. Just replace everything else! And you are good to go! I would definattly get atleast the neck if this thing was stolen. Either that or this Basses big brother. The Silevrtone Scepter Bass. And get myself another project Bass!

The Bass is extremely durble. It feels solid and durable. And the finish is extremely thick. It has endured 3 years of being banged around against stuff like WALLS and AMPS, several gigs, and my constant modification. It is gonan suck trying to sand it down so I can fill in some cavities I made installing my musicman pickup. Speaking of wich, the pickup is the least durable thing I have ever seen! I broke the coil trying to wire it to paralel instead of series. I wouldn't trust those things as far as I can throw em without breaking. I really do doubt those are really "Duncan Designed" as they claim. The gig bag sucks ass! It is waterproof nylon. that is it. No padding, no pockets, nothing! Thank god the Bass is soo durable or that thing woudl be in peices by now. And the chord? It came with two. One didn't work. The other broke in a week.

The Bass looks quite good and clean. The style is quite standard, but classic. And the headstock looks quite original with that distinct Silvertone Razer headstock. Quite refreshing form the standard shitty looking P Bass clone headstocks. The action was high when I first got it, I remember that. And the action can't be lowered that much. The frets buzz alot, and I do need to work on them. But, it can play clean, just don't expect to use the upper frets unless you like buzz. I love it to be honest. I am one of the only two Bassists I know that use fret buzz in their sound. The other is the dude from John Butler Trio.

It comes with a cable, a soft case, some monster pics, a strap, a 10wRMS amp, and a 4 string Bass (if I am not mistaken). It has 4 standard tuners. 20 Frets with a Rosewood fingerboard, maple neck, and a laminated wood body. (think plywood but higher quality) It came with a supposudly "Duncan Design" P Bass pickup with the low pickup at the top in the standard middle position wired in series. With a Tone and volume control. Both at 500Kohm I think. This Bass comes quite well equipped. The pickups were quite noisy yes but sounded fairly decent. Actually it was pretty versitle for passive controlls, and the tone controll did quite a good job at cutting highs when needed. Infact I still use that same capacater when I modded this Bass. And after about 3 months of rewiring this thing, I went back to how it was origianlly wired, Just with an added coil cut Switch I added. Setting it up was quite standard though. It only had action, intonation, and truss sadly. But meh, it still works. Enough about the bass, what about everything else? The amp is 10W RMS with 25W peak, 4 band EQ. 8" Speaker with back breathing hole. The amp is quite awesome. It has a very cool EQ. And you can get a surpizing amount of sounds out of it. Sadly though, the tuner sucks ass! It never works and is a pain in the ass to use! I ahted that thing soo much. It was really easier to tune by ear with that thing sometimes.