Chaparral CP4 Review

manufacturer: Slammer date: 07/14/2008 category: Bass Guitars
Slammer: Chaparral CP4
The Slammer Chaparral basses take four strings to a new low. The hardwood body gets its deep, rich tone from a Split-P style pickup configuration.
 8.9
 8.2
 9.5
 1,913
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Chaparral CP4 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 14, 2008

Features: I don't know exactly when or where it was made but I'm guessing it was made probably in 2005 or 2006 and most likely made either the USA or Japan. This bass is a beginner bass, it has a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. It has 20 frets. It has okay action, kinda hard to play standing up. The body is hardwood and comes in black or red metallic finish both with a pearl pickguard. It has tone and volume controls. The pickups are split P-Bass pickups. It has a scale of 34" but pretty easy to play the fretboard. The tuners are chrome die cast and stay in place really well. It came with a strap, gig bag, amp, and some picks but that was a sale from the source. // 8

Sound: I play every thing, from blues to jazz to punk to metal. It is really good sounding playing punk like music. Pretty punchy but has good low end. Okay for Slayer and Metallica. The factory strings can only go to drop c but is only ok. I am going to buy some heavy gauge strings. It keeps hitting the fretboard on drop b and lower. For jazz it has pretty good slap and pop sound. I use a pretty good Dean Markley K-20BX. I don't have any effects but I say it is probably pretty good with distortion. It buzzes a tiny bit but barley noticeable. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought the guitar it was really well put together. The neck was smooth and fast, it had really good action. The pickups need adjusting and some other stuff tightened (e.g. the pickguard). The strap holder gets loose way too easy and would need tightening every few songs during a set. Besides that the bass had absolutely no flaws. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This bass is insanely durable. I could totally play this show Live but I would bring a screw driver because the strap button gets really loose really easily. The hardware will really last, although the warranty says 5 years but I say it could probably last 10. I would definitely go in without a backup. The finish is really good I have dropped it twice but not a scratch or dent and absolutely no chipping of the paint. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing for one year and a few months and play every thing. It works and probably wont ever stop. This is the only bass I own and if it was stolen or broken but I doubt it would break, I would buy another one. Not because I hate the bass but because I want to try something different. I love every thing about this and my favorite feature is everything. It is a work horse of a bass. I compared looks and feel of other basses but I just loved this one and I am so happy I bought it. // 9

Comments