ReBop 5DLX Review

4,390
review (1) pictures (2) user comments vote for this gear:
ReBop 5DLX Reviewed by: AreaMan, on may 31, 2013

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: Finally got around to upgrading my equipment when I stumbled across a used Spector ReBop-5DLX. I believe it was made sometime around 2007 in the Czech Republic. With a bolt on 3 piece maple neck with a rosewood fretboard and sporting 24 frets on a 35" scale, the ReBop is amazingly light. The neck is extremely thin and perfectly contoured to allow maximum comfort when fretting. The body is alder and zebrawood (known as an an exotic wood) and has a very unique black stain finish, and also has two passive EMG HZs (neck and bridge). Spector includes a European Series locking bridge on all of their European built basses. Four controls are included; two volume controls, a tone, and a pre-amp, which when turned up all the way pummels through the mix. The guy I bought it from included a beautiful Spector gig bag with it, although this isn't standard for Spector. My only qualm with the features of the Re-Bop are that because the body is so light, their is a decent amount of neck dive, and this can be uncomfortable without the right strap. However, with the way I play and hold a bass (rather high up) I hardly notice it. // 9

Sound: I play all sorts of different music and try to be as experimental as possible through my Ampeg BA110. However, with my band I perform a combination of funk and alternative music. A MIM J-Bass suited me just fine for this style, but after purchasing my ReBop, it's safe to say it plays these musical styles perfectly. The ReBop can cover anything from funky slap bass parts to rhythmic and melodic progressive metal riffs. With the pre-amp on, the bass punches and has a warm thick tone to it. Turning it off still keeps that thunder, and turning the tone off gives the bass a beautiful treble tone that allows the highs to be heard. However, this does sometimes create a slight buzz (still looking into it). Overall the ReBop, in my opinion, can achieve any sound desired so long as one wants to spend time toggling the controls on the bass. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: One of the most important things for me as a bass player is having very low action yet ensuring there is no fret buzz. The ReBop-5DLX does this beautifully. Each of the strings was the perfect height off of the fretboard (to the point where I hardly felt that I was pressing strings down). The low B, which has always been something to worry about) plays amazing and has both a snap and growl to it, especially when the pre-amp is on. The pickups were set up perfectly, as was the bridge, and I didn't have to do anything beyond tuning it to make it play well. The black stain finish atop the exotic zebrawood also looks amazing. I've never owned a guitar that was not a primary or secondary color and I was initially skeptical about the black stain, but I'm thoroughly satisfied as it looks amazing when it is seen in person. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've only played one show since purchasing my ReBop, but the venue was both cramped and rowdy, and this bass held up perfectly. It is extremely solid for such a lightweight instrument, and this is most likely also due to the fact that the hardware is very durable. The tuners hold their tuning very well and the bridge locks the strings perfectly. I have yet to put strap locks on this bass because to be honest I doubt they need them (although I most likely still will anyways). I most likely would gig without a back up, but I enjoy the aesthetic effect of switching up basses, so I almost always bring a back up. However, this has nothing to do with the quality of the ReBop and I see myself owning it for a very, very long time. // 10

Overall Impression: I will play any style of music (save for country). From fresh thick thumping hip-hop bass to psychedelic lead bass songs, the ReBop 5-DLX can do quite a bit. It is akin to that of a swiss army knife for the season outdoorsman. I've been playing now for a solid 7 years and I've always wanted to own a Spector bass, which I've now added to my arsenal of my 2001 MIM J-Bass and random 5 string Brownsville bass. If I lost this bass I would be devastated, and the only thing keeping me from purchasing another is that I am a lefty and lefty basses are quite hard to come by (unless of course their Fender or Ibanez). When it came down to making my purchase of this bass I almost settled for a Spector Legend, and I am so glad I didn't, as the ReBop plays like liquid. I've truly not felt nor heard a bass I enjoy more and it shocked me when no one had reviewed a ReBop yet. I am 150% satisfied and now just need to find out what year it was made. // 10

Comments