Affinity Jazz Bass review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Jazz Bass

Purchased from: Reverb

It suit all the styles of music that I play from Indie to heavy metal. Great for slower, quieter songs and can really pound out the crunch for the fast paced metal. I use it with my Fender Rumble 15 watt at home and a Line 6 lowdown 300 watt at the studio. I have yet to find a setting where it is noisy (well beyond what I'm usually playing!). It has a rich, warm but somehow still bright tone but with the tone knob dialed out it has a nice meaty crunch.

This bass suits all the styles of music that I play with my band. I have been playing bass since September 2008 and I also own a Yamaha RBX375 5-string bass. The only thing I wish I had asked before buying it would have been if I could have got a five string version for about the same amount of money. If it were stolen/lost I would probably upgrade and get a 5-string version or even save up for a proper Fender 5-string Jaz bass. I love everything about this bass apart from the fact that it isn't a 5-string and my favourite feature is the string spacing as it is ideal for finger picking and slap bass. I compared this bass to the other Squier Affinity bass, the P-Bas, but I got this one as I believe it looks better.

I must just say that as soon as I opened the box I fell in love with the colour! This bass could withstand a nuke! The hardware is all heavy duty and will easily last your lifetime, if not just the guitar's if taken care of properly. The strap buttons are superb and because of the weight of the bass they really make a good solid connection with a strap. I would be happy to gig this bass without a backup. The paint is amazing and I'm not sure how it is still on the body after all the knocks and bumps it's had. It's a testament to Squier's quality control department.

When I bought this bass (or should I say when I let my Dad buy it for me!)the only thing that wasn't perfect was the fact that the pickguard wasn't completely screwed down but I fixed that within 5 minutes. Since, I have had to have one of the wires re-soldered to the jack socket as it came loose, but seeing as how the rest of the bass is so good, it was probably my fault.

2006 Indonesian made Squier J-Bass. 20 fret 34" scale neck. Lovely dark metallic blue paint with chrome hardware. 2 passive Squier J-Bass pick-ups with separate volume knobs and a master tone knob. Classic Fender style tuners on a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. Great bass for finger picking and (with higher action than factory set-up)slap bass. Bought as a bass starter kit, came with 15 watt Fender rumble amp, cable, strap, DVD, and 3 plectrums were thrown in by the shop staff.

JH62jazz
    JH62jazz wrote: whats with this beginner nonsense
    It's a great bass for anything
    JH62jazz
    Forget What I said earlier, because I properly tested the bass And it Wasn't What I thought It would be and I compared it to The 4 string deluxe jazz bass by squier and it was most impressive so my dad bought it for me, I'm pretty sure you can't play the affinity live.