Affinity Jazz Bass review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Jazz Bass

Purchased from: Dolphin Music

I play lots of punk and some metal, and by varying the pickup volumes, I can acheive almost any sound, for any specific song a play. It is a very vertasile bass. I play it on the Fender Rumble it was bundled with, using no effects. It has a very rich full sound, and I have no complaints about this and the bridge pick up gives a very bright sound, where as the neck gives a very bassy sound.

I play a lot of punk and metal, and this fits both well. I've been playing for about a year and this was my first bass. If it were lost or stolen, I'd either buy this again or save up for a Fender American Standard Jazz Bass instead, purely to avoid the electrical problems. I compared this to a Squier P Bass and chose this because I found it more comfortable and more versatile. I wish it had a red pickguard, because those things are sexy.

I beleive this will be able to take gigging, although I have not gigged with it yet, I plan on in the near future. One major problem I've had with it were the electronics, which have broken 3 times. The first two times, the input jack solder broke. The third and current time, the pickups turn off completely if the volume knobs are turned below roughly 75%. I am yet to figure out what is wrong with it. I switched the strap buttons for strap locks, as I used to tilt the bass at a high angle and it was tearing up the strap. I would like to say I could depend on it, but sadly, due to the elctronic problems, I cannot, and would not gig without a back up. The finish is very thick, and there are no worries of it coming off uness you drop it a lot.

The action was very high from the factory, and required lowering, as the higher frets became difficult to use. The pickups were fine, although I did raise them slightly to increase the volume from the higher strings. The gloss black finish was fine, there are a couple of scrapes now, but they were my fault.

My bass was made in Indonesia, in 2006. It has 20 frets on a thin Jazz Bass style neck. No complaints about the neck, it's a brilliant width, especially for people with smaller hands. The body is made from alder, and it features two single coil J Pickups and two volume and a master tone knob. I switched the strap buttons for string locks as soon as the money was available. The bass came with a 15 watt Fender Rumble amp, a strap which has since broken, a gig bag that was too small and a lead that snapped.

j303045
    I paid $150 for my 1961 Jazz bass and a Kustom amp back in 1975. The Kustom padded amp with purple pilot light didn't last a year, but the '61 J bass is still with me. I started performing professionally again about two years ago, and was strongly advised to stop taking the '61 to gigs. The first replacement was a '93 Japanese Ibanez SR800, which I'll never get rid of. However, today I purchased an Indonesian Squire J bass, looks like it was made last week. The fit and finish is excellent. After truing the neck using the easily accessible hex truss rod nut at the headstock, I dropped the bridges and set intonation. Blah, blah, blah. TL;DR For one hundred bucks, this is the damndest bass I've ever played. Yes, she hums if the pickups aren't balanced just so. So does my '61. The fret ends could use a little dressing, but it bought this bass with then intention of Jacoizing it (pulling the frets) and now I can't bring myself to do it. Long story short -- I've been playing an ancient Fender J bass since 1975. This...THING...is a damn faithful reproduction, right down to the sound and pickup hum quirks. If you like a Jazz bass, buy one.