Affinity Jazz Bass review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Jazz Bass

Purchased from: Local Guitar Shop

Playing jazz, blues and rock style music. Sounds exactly like a Fender Standard series J Bass. Excellent tonal range and clearity. Very good sound overall. Typical Jazz Bass single coil sound. Great Jazz, blues and rock bass. Not suited for heavy rock or metal.

If you want a good J Bass the China version is for you. I would not spend money on Fender J Basses unless you are a serious musician. As always, you should play it first. One may have better finish work tnan another, get the most for your money. I would definitely buy this again. Definitely better than Fender Mexican made version.

Very well made (can't say the same for starter pack version). The China version is suitable for beginners to active musicians, and in my opinion, easily a bass you can gig with. At this price point you can afford a tuning key upgrade. Very dependable, no problems at all.

Excellent action and playability. Finish work is every bit as good as Fender Standard series basses. Tuner work fine, a little play in them but function well, probably the only thing on this bass I would consider upgrading. Feels great to play, as a jazz bass should.

Used 2010 q (China model, not Indonesian starter pack model, there is a significant difference in quality. 20 frets, medium jumbo. Alder body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard and Vintage covered tuners. Candy apple red finish, three ply white pickguard. Standard bridge. 2 passive single coil pickups (same as Fender Standard Jazz Bass). Standard Vintage control knobs and plate.

patuch
    I own a Yamaha TR5, I had a Fender USA Jazz Bass that I regretfully traded for an Epiphone LP Junior. I didn't play the jazz bass much due I enjoy the 5 string Yamaha fretless the most. However, the jazz sounded just as punchy as the TR5 which has active PU's. I also have a 4 string Squier Jazz bass with active PU's. I wanted another Fender jazz bass like the one I gave up and I saw the Affinity 5 string Sunburst (paint like the 4 string jazz I had that matches my American Strat)for 190 bucks so I took a chance on it. The Affinity played OK and the PU's sounded pretty good but the they were very noisy (single coil type of hum) unless I ran them together equally so I ordered a set of Seymore Duncan Quarter Pounders. These PU's sound great. No more PU noise at all, at any setting. I just changed the pots, jack, cap and put on a set of 60's jazz bass knobs. They have a more rounded grip then the Squier knobs did. They feel much better as well as look better. All in all, this is a fun bass to play. It sounds very dynamic, slappy and punchy. The Orange Drop cap made a huge difference too in terms of giving me a lot of change in tone. I no longer play in any bands but I wouldn't hesitate gigging with it. It doesn't play as nice as my Yamaha, the neck doesn't come close, but I still like the Squier for kicking around and I really enjoy the great tone it has. I strongly suggest changing PU's. No regrets.
    moxxidude
    One of my bass students showed up with this at his first lesson in September and I have to admit I was disappointed his parents hadn't asked my opinion on what to buy him....until I played the damn thing and realized I would have denied him a fantastic instrument due to my out-of-date thinking and opinions. What a fine, fine instrument. I own a P-Bass, which is fine for everything I throw at it, but this Squire makes my P-Bass want to run away and hide in shame. Unfortunately, he switched to drum lessons (with me as well) and all I can say is, "I'm sure as hell going to miss that bass in my life". I might make them an offer....
    JazzEd
    I first picked up a bass guitar at my uncle's when I was 10 and I loved the sound of it. So when my dad bought one too, I sort of taught myself to play some tunes and even formed a band with some other kids. But that was a long time ago. And I hadn't played for years, until recently. I currently own an Ibanez TR 100 Expressionist, that I've owned for over 15 years. But I would really like to own a Fender Standard Jazz Bass and if money were no issue I'd just go out and buy one. But with three young kids and about a dozen other hobbies, one has to make tough choices sometimes; feed the kids or... No, just kidding, of course. Anyways, I'm considering buying a Squire Affinity J Bass (the next best thing?). I've checked several forums and what makes it hard for me to decide is the fact that some people complain the Affinity J is not all that great and just mainly cheap, while others are just crazy about it. I think I noticed that it's mainly beginners who say it's good for beginners, while seasoned bass players are surprised by it's quality and sound, even compared to the (much) more expensive model by Fender. Well, I haven't made up my mind yet. I saw an Affinity J in the store the other day, but I haven't played it yet. So I think I should and compare it with the Fender version myself. And who knows.