Affinity Precision Bass review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Precision Bass

Price paid: A$ 385

Purchased from: Intermusic Bondi

Clearly you can technically use it for any musical style, but it shines in modern rock (pop-punk, grunge etc) and has a nice punchy tone with a pick, but also a nice mellowed out tone with finger play. I play it through the Fender Rumble 15 that is included with it, it's good but make sure you actually use the tone knob on the bass, otherwise it'll sound like a tugboat.

I play pretty much anything in the rock genre, I like playing a lot of classic rock, particularly The Beatles, and it definately works for it. I have been playing for almost 3 months now, which is probably laughable to some, but I'm reviewing this to help out any other beginner. This is my only bass at this time, but I've tried a few basses before and this is definately the most comfortable. No there isn't anything I wish I had asked before buying it, the bass spoke for itself. If it were stolen or lost, no I wouldn't buy it again, but that's only because I would like to expand the gear I use, since it's my only bass at the moment, but it's a great bass none the less. I love the sunburst finish and the variety of sounds out of something as simple as the P-Bass. As I said, it's great for beginners and fills the needs for them.

The Affinity Squier P-Bass probably shouldn't be relied on for playing Live (it's an affinity what do you expect). The hardware looks fine to me, strap buttons are solid and fine. I don't gig, but if I did I definately wouldn't take this as my only bass, but that shouldn't deduct any points from it, it's a beginner bass and works great at satisfying the needs of a beginner. The finish is also definately lastable.

Surprisingly the action is quite good for a squier coming out of the factory, it only has a slight buzz when popping on the D string. The pickups are pretty neat but after around 2 months of playing it, I get this random popping sound when playing the D string, but it only really occurs once after turning the amp on then it's fine after that. The bridge was routed fine and the bass had no flaws which is great to see. When buying it I had a choice between a red or sunburst finish, I chose the sunburst finish and I think it's great!

The Squier P-Bass was made in 1999 and was crafted in Indonesia. It has 20 medium jumbo frets, it's a 34" scale, and has an easy to play neck. The body is made of alder and the neck is made of maple. The bridge is the standard 4-saddle, and the bass has passive electronics. It has 2 chrome-hardware controls, which are the volume and tone knobs. It has one split-single coil pickup, non-locking tuners from Fender and came with a gig bag, strap, amplifier, cable, allen wrench and keys, tuner, dvd. All the essentials for a beginner bassist.

mcjnk007
    its easier for bass guitars to be better because they have less strings to worry about
    yeah i mean, its not like we have to slap, pop,or keep the rythm of the whole song with the drummer or anything. dude its not so easy and guitarists arent the only thing worth a crap in bands, get over it.
    E V H 5150
    I believe that any Affinity Squire is just perfect for what they're for: learning. And if you wanted to save a little money, you could just replace the pickups and pots.
    epiphone_sg
    well i wanna buy a bass cuz i already play guitar n i want to explore new horizxons so i think im buying tht cuz it looks pretty much like a decent instrument...
    LetTheBassPlay
    ya know, the funny thing is that I had a Fender Squier p bass, and it got stolen, so i picked up a fender squier jazz. both of them, great basses.
    ericgentz
    Is this bass heavy because I picked up a Les Paul and that thing weighed more then I did.
    AndrogynousMind
    my guitar is a squier strat.It was dirt cheap and while not for tone fanatics its pretty damn good
    Anjohl
    Lol, that's hilarious. Listen to Victor Wooten. ANYWAY, noone outside a low-income family, or someone not sure they definitley want to play an instrument should buy an affinity. The Vintage modified are NOT much more expensive, and they have MUCH better build quality and pickups.
    dark_rider92
    hmmm... helpful review. i may choose this when i get a bass... already have a Ibanez G10 electric (also a rock-oriented, beginner's guitar) and this seems like a sturdy compliment.
    boxcar_smasher
    wow the reviewer paid over 300 for this??? you could get much MUCH better learner basses for that price. i bought an Epiphone thunderbird for like 300, and that is WAY much better than that thing. seriously get the best value for your buck. even if it's just learning
    guitaruboy