Affinity Precision Bass review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Precision Bass

Price paid: € 299

Purchased from: FMUSIC

I'm mostly a disco and funk player. This bass is clearly not that kinda bass, it's more of a straightforward metal or rock bass. It's not very groovy. I use this bass with that rumble amp which came with it. The bass is not noisy, and is pretty bright sounding overall, but has no depth in sound. This bass is not very versatile, but it has kinda Vintage sound, which is cool.

As I said before, I play mostly disco and funk, and this bass is not groovy so... The neck is also very slow, and the bass is heavy. I have played for three years, and this was the first fretted instrument I've ever owned, or this house has ever owned, so I started with bass, not with guitar. I think buying this bass over a jazz bass was a mistake. My other basses are (as of now) Tokai Jazz Bass, and Epi T-bird limited. The things I love in this bass is the cool Vintage look and sound, but I certainly hate the volume and tone knobs. Overall, it's a decent P-Bass.

This thing is not reliable because of it's electronics. I would get a backup while playing live. The strapbuttons are solid, no problem with them. The finish scratches easily, but is overall OK. The neck seems to be unfinished (no chemical treatment), well, it looks like it.

the factory setup was playable, but I still had to adjust it. The pickups almost dropped off before I screwed them back. The bridge is very good and solid, no complaints. The nut is kind of bad, and the original strings really sucked. The electronics are not very good, the tone control broke after two months of playing, and it stuck to the muted position, and I had to take it off to play properly. Everything else electronic than the pickup suck. Even the volume control is crackling. The tuners stay in tune, but the g-string peg came off once.

This bass was made in Indonesia in 2008. It had 20 jumbo frets, normal 34" scale, basswood body and maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. It came with black finish and white pickguard. It had (still has) passive split pickup, just basic volume and tone knob. It came with rumble 15 amp, strap, cable, and tuner. It has a chrome pickup cover.