Affinity Precision Bass review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Precision Bass

Purchased from: GC

I like/play disco, funk, classic rock, country, and even some jazz and punk. Seems fine to me, but I'm a beginner playing for myself and my instructor; no noise, tone knob is effective with a good range. Compared to other basses and guitars of mine with ineffective tone pots and noisy electronics - great.

I am an absolute beginner with bass and guitars in general. Shortly into my carreer, I tried a T-Bird Goth and thought it was worlds better. After my wife got me one for Valentine's day and I began playing it after 3 months on the P-Bass, I realized just how good this P-Bass is; certainly more suited to me/me to it. I have already made changes to the T-Bird, and also bought a Bronco that has been heavily modified, but this P-Bass has remained box-stock just because it works so well. There are many reports of spotty quality, and I didn't realize how different axes could be until I started to buy more. Considering some of the complaints with these Affinity P-Basses, I was lucky in getting a good one. If you have the opportunity to handle/play a few, and you find one with smooth frets and plays nice, you can't go wrong for your money. This is still the bass I pick up when I want to try something new, difficult, or just relax playing.

Despite the presumed/reported low-end components there have been no failures. It keeps tune just fine. Strap buttons are fine; only replaced with strap locks to facilitate strap removal. Still have the stock strings on because they just work so well. I have replaced the strings on every other axe I have out of necessity.

Neck had too much positive relief, action was too high, intonation was out. BUT REALLY - I can't expect a guitar made in Indonesia, shipped here in a conex on a boat, stored in some warehouse, and thentrucked to a store to sit in a box until I buy it to retain settings made at the factory when neck relief changes with the seasons in the same room. I watched a you tube video, read a couple of web pages, and had the neck (almost) straightened out with a sweet low action in around 30 minutes. Other than the adjustment, fit and finish is on par with any other painted solid-body.

I'm sure all the features have been covered ad nauseam. I bought the Squier P-Bass playset (black) w/ the Rumble 15 amp, etc. after my wife talked me into buying my first bass. The GC salesman told me it would be the most risk-free purchase considering I didn't really know what I was looking for...he was right. I'm rating this high because after 5 months of playing and comparing to my other 3 basses I've bought since, it is the only one I have no desire to modify. Stock features are great.

Zacky-V-6661
    I have this bass. And, I'm STILL shocked over this, mine is all stock, and it sounds amazing! I might of got lucky and snagged me a one in a million Affinity!