Affinity Precision Bass review by Squier

Squier: Affinity Precision Bass

Price paid: C$ 180

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

I currently run my basses through a Traynor BG-100 bass amp. Not a bad amp, I would certainly jump at getting something a bit better. This bass is well suited for grunge, punk, and some classic rock, which are styles I mostly play. The bass is a little on the brighter side, it sounds nice played with a pick for the punk rock. The bass did not have any feedback problems until recently, but I think this is caused from a grounding problem. The bass does not have much tonal capabilities, Pretty much just the Standard Precision Bass sound. This bass was my main bass until I could save up enough for a Fender bass, the pickups are nothing amazing, but they get the job done.

I mostly play classic rock, grunge and 70s punk rock, this bass is a great match for punk. I have been playing about 5 years. I also own 2 Fender Precision Basses, a Fender Jazz Bass 62' Reissue, a Fender Mustang Bass, Squier Tele Bass Special, Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass, Squier Musicmaster Vista Bass, Hofner Icon Bass, Epiphone EB-0, Epiphone EB-3, Epiphone Embassy, Epiphone El Capitan Acoustic/Electric Bass, and a Squier Cyclone guitar. I have always wondered If I should have picked up a Squier Jazz Bass at the time instead, but now that I have a Fender Jazz, I am happy with my choice, I always liked my Squier P and I know I got a good one. If it were stolen or lost I'd probably be upset but move on because I already have two Fender Precision basses at home. What I love about it is the durability and the quality. My least favorite feature is the pickups are not the best. I did not compare this bass to any other products. I just asked my parents for this bass for Christmas because I wanted a P Bass and was getting tired of the constant issues that Epiphone basses have. Squier is worlds apart in quality. I wish my P Bass had better pickups, a tort pickguard, thumbrest and ashtray bridge and pickup covers to give it a nice Vintage vibe and make it unique.

This guitar could easily withstand live playing. It is built like a tank. I never have to worry about anything coming loose, never have to worry about any problems with this bass. The hardware is still shiny, no rust at all or oxidization. The strap buttons are great, never had to tighten them or replace, the bass always stays where it should be. I would gig with this bass without a backup, the only problem is there is not very much versatility in the tone of the bass so I would probably have to take something else along for that. The finish is indestructible and I don't think it would ever wear off with lots of playing.

The guitar was set up pretty good from the factory, I never had to get it re adjusted or anything. The pickups were set up fine, the action was good, the frets were not sharp or anything. It was pretty high quality if you ask me. The finish was very nice, very very durable. It only has a few small scratches after very very heavy usage and it still looks nice, I like the scratches on the bass, they add mojo and character. The wood is very hard to put a dent in, it took many hard hits but there is not one dent in the body, only a few on the back of the neck.

My Precision Bass was crafted in Indonesia in 2008 I think. 34' scale neck and 20 medium jumbo frets. Neck is rosewood. I'm pretty sure the body is basswood. Olympic white in color, very durable finish. The bridge is a standard four saddle bridge. The pickups are Duncan Designed Precision bass split single coil pickups, passive. All it has is a simple volume and tone setup. The tuners are just Squier clover style tuners which serve their purpose, I have never had a problem with them. The bass never came with any accessories of any kind. Just the bass itself.