Classic Vibe Jazz review by Squier

Squier: Classic Vibe Jazz

Price paid: € 345

Purchased from: Music Store germany

It suited my style of music immediatly. When I first got home with it, I was funking out on this thing. It is very good worth the money you pay for it, it has a nice clear and warm tone. However as the time went by, I now have it almost a year, I have bought a compression pedal for it so I could improve my tone even more. It now sounds nice, warm clear and clanky when I want to. It can sound more bass if I want to and it has a much better slap tone I think. I tried out some Fender Classic serie's basses too now, but they sound just the same as my bass together with the Boss LMB-3 pedal. And its 300 euro's cheaper than a Fender all together! The only complaint I do really have is the bridge pick up, it doesn't sound like Jaco's style it's more full then that sound. So the bridge pick up could have been beter in my opinion. I give it a 7 because overall, it sounds good but I had to change some things to it and the bridge pick up isn't that good.

I play in a band, we play melodic funk rock if that's even a style. Basicly we combined melodic lines with a rock touch and it overall sounds funky due to the prominence of my bass and the sax. It's really nice sounding in my band I can make it sound like whooaa!! check out that bassplayer or be nice in the background. It cuts through the mix great! I really love this bass, I take it everywhere. I use it with a Hartke amp and my Boss LMB-3 compression pedal. I have tried out several basses like OLP's and some Ibanez basses and some other squiers but I'm really happy with the bass of my choice. I would never sell it because I have gone through a lot with it allready. I'm really into the Fender looks and this bass gives it. Tuning pegs are really pretty and the jazz bass body looks amazing! The finish is nice, the colour is really bright. The bass fits great for funk music, jazz music, pop and rock. Hard Rock and stuff don't sound to amazing on this bass. Really after all I did with it, this bass has earned a 10. It's sooooo niceeee!!!

I have played many gigs with this bass, because it's my only bass I have no back up to this one. It has never failed on me though it's always good to have a back up bass. So I depend on this bass, I take it along with me everywhere I can play. The hardware will last, it is a real reliable bass. Like I said before, the finish is really strong and the only complaint was that the strap button got a little loose. But that's due to the way I treat it. It has fallen sometimes in my room because I didn't put it away well. It holds on very well according to the way I use the bass. Only flaw is the strap button thats loose so I give it a 9 on relaibillity & durabillity.

I don't really have any complains about the action and finish. It holds up well, in my opinion to well. I use it, I trash it because it's my bass and I put my feelings in it, I like a bass that looks kind off vintage. So if anyone wants a bass that has a good finish to it, this is the way to go! My bass has some cracks to it now, still sounds the same to me it sounds even better to be honest. So it holds up wel, only complain so far is that the strap button on the bridge side has come a little bit loose. But that's also due to the way I use it I guess. The bass was set up proper, no complaints about. Changed it a bit afterwards but just to my likings. The strings were nice but I replaced them quite often I have now found the strings I think are perfect with this bass. So after some changes I can give this bass an over 8 on the action fit and finish! Again due to my likings no bass is perfect I guess.

The bass was made in China it is in Olympic white and it's a beauty! It has 20 frets and 4 string. It has a basswood body and it has a good Acoustic sound to it. The finish is olypmic white and has the classic Jazz Bass body style. I think it's beautiful! It has passive electronics so it has the volume controls for both pick ups and a useless tone switch I think because I have always kept it in the same position as I couldn't here much difference. It has Vintage tuners I believe that are open at the back, they look pretty! There were no accesoires accept for the standard tools. It would be cool if they had just given me a strap or a cable but that's due to the store I guess because I have bought some other stuff together with this lovely bass. So I give it a nine, it looks the way you want it too and the finish looks good.

L2112Lif
    Jaco's sound comes from the low action on his bass, whether its fretless or not. It introduces a small amount of fret buzz, but you don't notice it as buzz, rather it acts as a 'blooming' of the note. This was nice, except for the spelling errors and choppy sentence structure... I felt like I was reading someone mimic Hemmingway's style of writing.
    Vabolo
    Nice honest review, I was considering one of these as my first bass, but then I realized that I preferred maple necks, so now I'm going for a Vintage Modified Jazz Bass. Also, melodic funk rock? Niiiccccce.
    rbnbass
    Haha I'm sorry for my spelling errors. I speak english as if it is my first language but I don't write it like that so yeah. And also I'm not used to writing these kind off things, just thought I could help with people that are interreseted or want to buy this bass.
    rbnbass
    @ Vabolo You should really consider this one though. I also played the Vintage Modified, after all I think that bass is prettier but this one is definatly better!
    seemeel
    Vabolo wrote: Nice honest review
    scrdn
    Youtube has a video comparing this with it's Fender counterpart. Sounds EXACTLY the same
    Xcorgi
    That used to be true around the 90's or so. Squier was pretty crappy then but now since American made Fenders are getting worse and worse quality and the foreign made Squiers are getting better and better, it's pretty much a dead heat and as far as the Classic Vibe models are concerned, they are actually BETTER and at a fraction of the price. If you don't believe me, try out a brand new one and see for yourself. If you haven't tried on for awhile, you will be shocked by just how much they have improved. Even the necks are as smooth and mimic the rolled edges of their American counterparts. For under $400.00, this is a no-brainer. You no longer need to spend $1,200.00 plus for some boutique guitar to get amazing build and sound quality!
    Charley2715
    seemeel wrote: Vabolo wrote: Nice honest review Seriously? He gave it a '10' for impression - compare this to a proper Jazz bass, or a Stringray or a 4003 and then tell us it's a 10... and don't say it's cos this Squire is so cheap - you get what you pay for, and that's true of everything in life. You can't get a 9/10 bass for this little money.
    Thats the thing though, when it comes to the price range maybe it is that great. We all know this thing doesnt stand a chance against a stingray or an american fender J bass. But people looking at those basses wouldnt look at this one vice versa. You have to consider its competition. Everything is relative
    rbnbass
    Well it's true, this bass wont stand a chance against an American Standard, or a Stingray but.. A stingray is a completly different type of bass. Like I said I didn't just get 9/10 without my changes. I'd still prefer a real Fender, in fact i'm going to get one of those. But this can get close.
    jheremhiya044
    have you tried using this thing before you comment? try looking this video..
    wit h right upgrades this bass, soundwise, can match a real fenders..
    Hungry_Hameds
    I find the tone knob on my CV Jazz switches from buzzy, aggressive and slap - friendly to a more 'bassy' warmer sound, but if you go too far it just sounds cloudy, but still overall a really good sounding bass even in comparison to its dad...
    LamboLighting
    i have this bass for some months now... i recently found out that the truss rod needs fixing because the strings buzz too much... when i went to fix it the truss rod on the headstock couldn't be turned cause there was no hole in the metal to put the alen. on the bottom side of the neck there was no truss rod at all...
    Xcorgi
    I just found a used 2008 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Percision bass at my local Sam Ash for $319.00. The Serial No. is CGRJ08001854 so I'm assuming it's number 1,854 unless the '08' is the year and the '01' is the month then that would make it #854. Either way, I could be wrong Can anyone else tell me the proper way to read one of these serial numbers? Anyway, this thing is amazing and can stand up to any American or Jap bass on the planet. It actually has that Elusive John Deacon sound totally stock with the tone knob turned almost all the way down. In fact I have yet to find an amp to play through that doesn't sound like the speaker is blowing out when I hit the low string open.
    Xcorgi
    P.S does anyone know what the first year the Classic Vibe 50's Precision bass was manufactured? Thanks in advance for any info.