Price paid: £ 280
Purchased from: Dolphin Music
Sound — 8
Does what a Precision does ok. Loads of bass extension, possibly too much but it can be eq'ed out. Slightly short of thump and punch. Probably not the first choice for slapping but I don't so it doesn't matter to me. Initially I was a little disappointed with the sound but it does respond well to eq both through my amp and direct into a mixer & studio monitors. I haven't yet played at volume but suspect that this bass will rock. I haven't noticed any buzz or hum.
Overall Impression — 9
Good for rock or other music requiring a deep bass sound. I like to play different types of music from rock to folk and this guitar will have a good stab (with amp eq) at anything. I have a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz which is fantastic and my fav. between these two basses I've got all bases covered (pun?!). Both I prefer to My Ibanes ATK300 with its actives. I really like the colour and traditional shape which like the jazz just works. I dislike over-designed, trying too hard stuff. There are loads of good kit out there and this may be the bass for you. Excellent value but I may just replace the pickup with a Quarter-Pounder to get a more punchy sound. If you have any comments especially if you have changed the PUPs on one of these.
Reliability & Durability — 10
Everything about this guitar looks and feels like quality. The strap buttons are solid and hold the strap well. The pots are sound & smooth. I'm sure this guitar will be good for years. I usually wear the frets away. There isn't much to go wrong and I'm sure it will stand gigging no bother. No pesky batteries to go flat either.
Action, Fit & Finish — 8
The action needed a little setting-up as did the intonation especially the G string. This doesn't matter one jot because when setup the action is pretty good. The guitar finish is as far as I can see perfect. It stays in tune for ages and intonation up the neck is OK. All the hardware looks and feels good.
Features — 10
Bought just 1 week ago. Fiesta Red. They say:
- Body: Basswood
- Finish: Gloss Polyester
- Neck: Maple, Modern "C" Shape, Gloss Polyester Finish
- Fingerboard: Rosewood, 9.5" (241 mm) Radius
- Frets: 20, Vintage Style
- Scale Length: 34" (864 mm)
- Nut Width: 1.625" (41.3 mm)
- Hardware: Chrome
- Tuning Keys: Open Gear Tuning Machines
- Bridge: 4-Saddle HiMass Bridge with Brass Saddles
- Pickguard: 3-Ply Tortoise Shell/White/Black
- Pickups: 1 Custom Precision Bass Split Single-Coil Pickup with AlNiCo V Magnets
- Pickup Switching: N/A
- Controls: Volume, Tone
- Strings: Fender Bass 7250M, Gauges: (.045, .065, .085, .105), p/n 073-7250-406
- Unique Features: Vintage Styling, Tinted Neck, Knurled Chrome Dome Control Knobs, Gold Squier Logo, Thumbrest, Synthetic Bone Nut