Classic Vibe Precision 60s Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 02/27/2012 category: Bass Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ad free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Squier: Classic Vibe Precision 60s
Good for rock or other music requiring a deep bass sound. I like to play different types of music from rock to folk and this bass will have a good stab at anything.
 9.2
 9.4
 5,897
review (1) pictures (3) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Classic Vibe Precision 60s Reviewed by: clitheroekid100, on february 27, 2012

Purchased from: Dolphin Music

Features: Bought just 1 week ago. Fiesta Red. They say: - Body: Basswood - Finish: Gloss Polyester - Neck: Maple, Modern "C" Shape, Gloss Polyester Finish - Fingerboard: Rosewood, 9.5" (241 mm) Radius - Frets: 20, Vintage Style - Scale Length: 34" (864 mm) - Nut Width: 1.625" (41.3 mm) - Hardware: Chrome - Tuning Keys: Open Gear Tuning Machines - Bridge: 4-Saddle HiMass Bridge with Brass Saddles - Pickguard: 3-Ply Tortoise Shell/White/Black - Pickups: 1 Custom Precision Bass Split Single-Coil Pickup with AlNiCo V Magnets - Pickup Switching: N/A - Controls: Volume, Tone - Strings: Fender Bass 7250M, Gauges: (.045, .065, .085, .105), p/n 073-7250-406 - Unique Features: Vintage Styling, Tinted Neck, Knurled Chrome Dome Control Knobs, Gold Squier Logo, Thumbrest, Synthetic Bone Nut // 10

Sound: Does what a Precision does ok. Loads of bass extension, possibly too much but it can be eq'ed out. Slightly short of thump and punch. Probably not the first choice for slapping but I don't so it doesn't matter to me. Initially I was a little disappointed with the sound but it does respond well to eq both through my amp and direct into a mixer & studio monitors. I haven't yet played at volume but suspect that this bass will rock. I haven't noticed any buzz or hum. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action needed a little setting-up as did the intonation especially the G string. This doesn't matter one jot because when setup the action is pretty good. The guitar finish is as far as I can see perfect. It stays in tune for ages and intonation up the neck is OK. All the hardware looks and feels good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Everything about this guitar looks and feels like quality. The strap buttons are solid and hold the strap well. The pots are sound & smooth. I'm sure this guitar will be good for years. I usually wear the frets away. There isn't much to go wrong and I'm sure it will stand gigging no bother. No pesky batteries to go flat either. // 10

Overall Impression: Good for rock or other music requiring a deep bass sound. I like to play different types of music from rock to folk and this guitar will have a good stab (with amp eq) at anything. I have a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz which is fantastic and my fav. between these two basses I've got all bases covered (pun?!). Both I prefer to My Ibanes ATK300 with its actives. I really like the colour and traditional shape which like the jazz just works. I dislike over-designed, trying too hard stuff. There are loads of good kit out there and this may be the bass for you. Excellent value but I may just replace the pickup with a Quarter-Pounder to get a more punchy sound. If you have any comments especially if you have changed the PUPs on one of these. // 9

Comments