Jazz Bass California Series Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 06/18/2010 category: Bass Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Squier: Jazz Bass California Series
 8.7
 8.4
 8.9
 4,779
review (1) pictures (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Jazz Bass California Series Reviewed by: rohitfenderlove, on june 18, 2010

Purchased from: Roland Pro Music

Features: I bought this bass guitar from India. This one is "Crafted in China" with a serial number starting with CXS. It has 20 medium jumbo frets. An alder off-set jazz-style body, maple neck and a rosewood fretboard. The finish is glossy. Standard open-gear tuners and chrome hardwares. Even the volume(2) and tone(1) knobs are of chrome. It has two single coil, jazz-style pickups (neck and bridge). The bridge is somewhat odd though. Works fine. Decent sustain. But it has 3 screw ins rather than the standard 5. So if you want to change the bridge as I did (I put on a Vintage Wilkinson), you'll have to drill in two extra holes. They gave me a gig bag and a cable when I bought it. // 8

Sound: I play funk, rock, blues and a little bit of jazz and this bass is the perfect one for me. It will give you that Vintage growling tone, a warm bass-heavy tone and - with a little tweaking - an incredible slap tone. I play it through a Fender Blues Driver (I know it's stupid to play a bass through it but it does the job for now) and I get very good results from it. Of course, you will have to deal with the signature jazz bass p-up buzz. Personally, I prefer it as it sounds vintage. The place where I think this bass beats others is in versatility. I've been playing for a year now and so far, I've not come across a more versatile bass. Better? Yes. More versatile? NO! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up was not so good. Mine gave fretbuzz when I went beyond the 15th fret. I took it to a shop to re-set it and since then it's never given me any trouble. The pickups were well adjusted and so was the bridge and other hardware. The fretboard is a treat to play on. The finish iss surprisingly good for a Chinese Squier. It's very glossy. And so far mine hasn't worn off At All. But you might want to replace the nut asap. It's just a cheap piece of plastic. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The body is made of alder. So I'm sure that this bass is durable and will last a long time if you take care of it. The strap buttons are ok but if you're gigging with it I'd recommend to get strap-locks. I've been gigging with this for a year without backup and it has Never let me down and there's hardly any cosmetic damage on it. This is one tough bass guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: I primarily play funk-rock. I think the only bass that would beat a jazz bass in funk is the Stingray. It's a treat to play slap-pop on this especially with light gauge Di'addarios. I compared this bass to other Ibanezes and a Squier VM 70's Jazz Bass and this one was the best in terms of playability. Since then I've played MIM Jazz Basses and Yamahas and Ibanez SRXs. I thought only the MIM bass better. But after I replaced the nut with an original Fender bone nut, the bridge with a Wilkinson Vintage Saddle bridge and the bridge pickup with a Fender Vintage '75 pickup I realized that it's miles ahead of the MIM Jazz bass at a Much lesser cost (Bass + mods = $350). The tone I get now from the bridge pickup is as good as it gets on a bass. Pure vintage! If you're on a budget (actually, even if you aren't) or if you're staring out, this is the best choice for you. If this was stolen, I'd probably start saving up for a Stringray, realizing midway, that its impossible for me to save up so much and end up with another Squier Jazz Bass (CS). // 9

Comments