MB-5 Modern Bass review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 6.2 Neat
Squier: MB-5 Modern Bass

Purchased from: second hand

The sound is ok at best, even the Vintage modified squires sound better stock. The sound is useable but if you think of playing this live I seriously suggest a pickup swap. I am not a bass player, so I only run this through my PA, through my friends GK RB400 it sounds pretty decent, just a little thin.

This is an ok bass. The neck is comfortable, and the entire bass is pretty light weight. I use this for practice only, not live gigs, if it had some Bass Lines the sound would undoubtedly be impruved. I would only suggest this to the beginning bassest, extreamly budget consious person, or the modder thet likes to tweek anything they buy. It is also a very nice playing guitar, that sounds mediocre. If someone stole it I'd be pissed then get a LTD Phoenix. Its just not that great of a bass.

I think this is a reliable bass. It a 2003 and still has all the original parts, and they work flawlessly. I would not hesitate to play this live, except the stock pickups realy aren't that good sounding. The quality is good but not graet. It stays in tune very well also.

The components seem well made. The body fits together nicely. The neck was bowed a little when I got it and the low B strings intonation was out. I set the action very low and no string buzz. For the price I paid I knew there was gonna be some work to do on it.

Made in 2003 I think in Indonesia.I don't know what wood is used for the body, but it is not plywood. 5 string, 22 fret maple neck. 3x2 tuner set up. It is the pewter finish I think. Kind of an "Ibanez" style body. 2 jazz style single coils, 1 volume, 1 tone and a pan pot for pickup selection. 5 sadle top loading bridge. Realy reminds me of the old Fender Heartfeild DR bass in looks. Even got a hard case with it(hey it may be cheap, but I like to protect my instruments)

4stringedMetal
    i love this bass, but i find i never play it, it sounds terrible with overdrive, or any gain increasing effect. besides that, fine bass, good for practice. cheap too.
    thecrazyb42
    i have a mb-5 and my only problem is im constantly haveing to retune it but all inall not a bad bass for under 5 that looks so bad ass -CrazyB 7/10