Mike Dirnt Precision Bass review by Squier

Squier: Mike Dirnt Precision Bass

Price paid: C$ 199

Purchased from: Long and McQuade (used)

I am in a metal band mostly playing originals. I have 2 basses as of now. This is a good backup bass/ bass I use in Standard and my other one in A. I also have a sweet spot for playing hard rock and punk and this bass does it well. The amp I am using is a Line 6 Lowdown 175. On the Grind channel is sounds great and on the rock Channel (ampeg model) it sounds like a good rock bass sound. (I use the distortion for my metal band, I also have other effects with the Line 6 but right now their irrleivent) I found the action isn't the way I would like it for slap and pop but its possible to use whats there.

I play mostly metal and this bass will do most genres like punk metal and rock (I jam those with other guys plus along with my tunes all the time). I've been playing for about 3 years now and I have a Stagg bass, Line 6 amp, and I think this Mike Dirnt bass is my favorite piece of gear, but still I do wanna put seymorduncan basslines into her. I wish I would have known that for this bass new is about $100 more then I bought it for, but hey its $100 I could use on them basslines. God forbid this gets lost or stolen I'd probably buy a new one. It is cheap and reliable. I love the way the bass looks and feels, I wish it had a few more frets even 22 would have been nice. The same day I was looking at this bass I saw an Affinity Jazz Bass (squire) but when I saw the star I knew whos bass this was and forgot all about the other ones. I do wish this bass did have a better bridge but I think I'm just being too picky and hard on it. For $199 used for me or $300 brand new I'd suggest this bass to anyone looking for a good solid bass.

I'm sure this bass would be great live. It is lighter then I'm used to because for about 6 months I've only used a 5 string and nothing else. I havn't had her long enough to play a gig with it. I think the hardware will last for a long time. If my band decides to only play in Standard or not some abstract tuning I would bring this bass to a gig with out a back up. Like I said if one song is in A and the other one in Standard. Well I guess both basses are coming.

I don't know if someone changed the action scince I bought this bass used. But it is a little high for my liking but nothing I can't get used to. I was told when I first started playing bass that the more metal in a bridge the better the sound. I forgot to see how small it was when I bought it because I was distracted. I do think I will put on a badass bridge but why fix what is not broken. I found the tuning stabilty isn't the best in the world it gets quite a bit out of tune more then I would like to admit but if you play a show I bet it will be in tune well enough for the whole gig.

For Features its not bad for the price (I know how much it is brand new and the price I got it is greatly different)It was made in Indonesia like most squire basses I've played. It has 20 frets which was somewhat dissapointing to me because my other bass has a 2 octave neck (24 frets) but I don't even think Mike Dirnt would dream of using any high notes. The finish that I got was nice and recognizable. When I saw her in the store I knew what it was right away. Mine is the cream coloured with black pickguard/star. The body style is based off a 50's model P-Bass that has P-Bass pickups as aposed to the lipstick ones of the time. It also looks like a telecaster which is pretty cool. The pickups are passive and not too bad though I think I might save up for SeymoreDuncan basslines and maybe a Badass Bridge.

MaggaraMarine
    CALiS*TX wrote: Tallica94 wrote: Can you play slap on this one? its not slap... its snappin... btw provide your DI box such MXR Bass d.i. plus for snapping... passive pickup is not great for snapping...
    Snapping? What the... It's slapping !
    CALiS*TX
    Tallica94 wrote: Can you play slap on this one?