Precision Bass review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 5.6 Decent
Squier: Precision Bass

I play various styles ranging from metal to punk to emo to even classical (not as bad as it sounds I might add) and for a beginner's bass it's ok. However, for what I want/need, it doesn't quite cut it. It gives it a go thou, no question, but the pickups are noisy and fuzzy when high volume is needed so I'm forced to play at a lower volume otherwise I'd drown out the guitars in my band, seriously.

A beginner's bass guitar, that's all really. I got it because I needed a bass fast (due 2 my previous bass being wrapped around some total head) and eBay seemed like the obvious choice. I had a Ibanez SR-300DX and I loved it but couldnt afford to get another (and still can't) but for 70, it's alright. I can live with it until I get me a SR-300DX again.

Personally, I wouldn't gig with this. I don't trust the pick-ups or the volume knobs. It's ok to practise with but when you're playing a gig, there's more energy in your playing and I don't think it could handle it. But then again, what do you expect from a Squier?

As it sat in a case for about a year, it needed a good set-up, which it got and for a couple of weeks it was ok. To be honest it still is but I keep noticing buzzing from the machine heads. When I got it set up too, the guy told me that there wasn't much wrong with it apart from the pickups (and the stickers I have on it). Apart from that, I hav noticed that the volume and tone knobs are loose but that hasnt affected my playing that much, so far.

It's a Japanese 2003 4 string model with 20 medium frets, rosewood fingerboard, alder body and considering this is around 140-ish new, 70 ain't bad! The guy said he bought it 2 years ago & took it out of the case twice so no visible damage at all and came with a hard case so, for 70, I felt I got a pretty good deal.