Precision Bass review by Squier

Squier: Precision Bass

This bass can support my style of classic rock completely. The unit does get noisy at high treble settings, but hey, it's bass. The sound from it kinda leaves lots to be desired from the top end, but is great for pounding out hard rock, though slap and pop sound a tad forced. I don't have any bass FX, but through my Turbo Rat (read my review) distortion pedal, this bass can bang pretty hard, though wah is out of the question.

I would recommend this package to any bassist starting out, or one with little money. I have been playing for a little under a year, and I am still not hampered by its limitations. In my pedal collection I hold a Marshall Compressor, a Dunlop wah, a Boss OS-2, and a Pro Co Turbo Rat. If this bass were lost or stolen, I would buy a different one, or, seeing as how I always wanted to, build a bass. I would really like Squier to come out with a 5 string version of this bass. That would be swell.

While representing a great value, I would not risk this guitar breaking on me. It seems that once I had aggressively twisted the pots, and they grounded and cut off. I would have to have a backup for this one. The strap buttons are not the greatest, but a 0.35$ pair of washers can solve that. The machines and bridge look like they were built by machines for use by machines, and look very solid.

I'm not sure what the former owner did to this bass, but it looks like it was a good instrument. The figerboard is surprisingly good for a guitar this range, and the action suits my taste perfectly. All of the guitar's hardware is good, but some of the frets pop out a fraction of a milimeter, not a huge deal though. The pickup could stand to be a tad higher at the outward edges, but it is a pbass, so I don't expect that kind of thing. For you jazzers, light rockers and the like, a jazz bass is the way to go. Its polyurethane finish is solid blue on mine, and I like that just dandy.

This made in Indonesia bass is a very good starter series. I found a friend in its four saddle bridge, it's 20 jumbo frets (they seem huge to me) and it's blue finish. Coming with everything you need to play in a package, this bass is great. At least, for what it is. As a starter instrument, it has nauseatingly simple controls; one volume, one tone, one jack. The pickup sounds good, but with a lack of dynamics in its tones. That being said, it is the cheapest on the market, and by far an outstanding value. It's small, tame, amp can pull you by, but to be in a band, you need better gear (starting with a better bass).