Precision Bass review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
Squier: Precision Bass

My style is alternative rock but I also play this with some acoustic songs and it suits them OK. It has quite a full sound and is a little noisy. It can vary from a bright sound to a very dull one. It sounds OK with my Behringer distortion pedal and is great for a 1st bass.

I have been playing just 6 months but already feel that I have outgrown this bass. It is a great beginner's bass however and was very easy to learn on. If my knowledge had been more advanced at the time I would have bought the J-bass model or an Ibanez. Although it's starting to fall apart, I just can't help loving this bass. I think if it were stolen I would move on to a Jazz bass or a Jaguar. It needs to be more durbale but overall it's a great 1st bass.

So far this guitar has survived one big gig and 4 months of jamming, the hardware seems pretty solid though and will last. I have used it at a gig without a backup and I will again. The finish again though is not very good. And I have constant problems with the tone and volume knobs coming loose and the cast pieces inside it breaking. The neck is starting to come away from the body and the scrathplate is cracking. But it's not like I thrash it around or drop it much.

It was set up quite well but totally covered in shrink wrap which is annoying and you have to take off the pick guard to remove it all. The controls were a bit loose but came with good strings which have lasted me 6 months. But I have found that the finish dents very easily and is quite poor.

I believe that it was made, or crafted as it says on the headstock, in China in 2004. It has 20 medium/ jumbo frets and a maple neck. The nicely cutaway alder body has a black 'Polyurethane Finish' and is a nice shape. 2 chrome tone and volume comtrols, 1 split single-coil pickup and a rosewood fretboard. It came in a package with a great little 15 watt Fender Frontman amp, a terrible strap, a Fender lead and bass instruction book.