Precision Bass review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 4.8 Poor
Squier: Precision Bass

I play mainly blues, British invasion, and classic rock. These styles fit this bass perfectly. Another style of music that also fits this bass is punk. But forget about playing slap on this bass because the sound is quite dull. I've used this bass on multiple amps. Some ranging from $1000 to the one I own (a Rogue RB-50) which is really cheap. It is very noisy on a few high end amps I've tried it with, but not on the lower end amps. Strange right? The only sound I've been able to get with it is a dull, mellow, bassy sound. Somewhat similar to an upright acoustic bass. You won't be able to get much of any other tones on this thing.

I believe you should get this bass if you're lacking money, and you want to start out and practice at home. I've played multiple gigs, and have been in multiple bands, and I would not trust this bass outside of my house. So leave it at home if you get it. The one thing I love about this bass is the price. It's really low and all. The thing I hate is how it's made of average or crappy parts and that it lacks tonal variety. If I were you, I'd even scrap the idea of getting this bass and start looking at Ibanez's. I've tried some out in the same price range and they seem 3x better then the Squier P-Bass.

This bass will withstand probably a few performances. But I'd never take it on stage without a backup. The hardware seems like it'll last a decent amount of time. Probably long enough so you can save up for a new bass. And I'll say it again, the finish is crap so it'll wear out with even the slightest bit of playing.

The action was very nice and low when I bought it, but I had to make some adjustments due to buzzing and rattling. The pickups were adjusted somewhat poorly so I had to set those up too. Besides that, the bridge and tuners were nice, but they could be better. The finish really lacked. Like I said before it would chip off very easily. Another thing that I had to fix (and I'm still trying to fix) was a broken pickguard. After a while chords wouldn't stay in the input jack. So I fixed it but after a few weeks the pickguard started to crack around that area. Now the jack is all loose and is about ready to fall out. This would be an easy fix if Squier made all there pickguards like the rest of Fender's pickguards, but they don't. So now I have to cut out the correct pickguard holes and drill holes in it's body so I can screw the new pickguard down.

The P-Bass I bought has a metallic blue alder body, a rosewood fingerboard (20 medium jumbo frets), and a maple neck. I'm guessing it was made in Indonesia because I don't have the bass with me, so I can't check. I also don't know what type of paint they use on it, but it really sucks. The paint seems to chip off very easily even though I treat the bass well. The electronics are passive, and there are 2 knobs. One is for volume, and one is for tone (which I believe is broken because it has never done much of anything for the 3 years I've had this bass). There's nothing special about the stock pickups that come with this bass. I'd suggest getting new pickups if you stick with this bass. The tuners are standard open gear tuners. No locking tuners or anything. And the bridge is a standard four saddle, with nothing special about it. When I bought my bass it didn't come with any extra accessories, but I'm sure you could go to a local music shop and get a discount off of a nice gig bag.

zacky gates
    ok...are these reviews for the STANDARD p-bass, or the AFFINITY p-bass? there's a huge difference between the two. the affinity sucks, but the standard actually is quite good.
    E V H 5150
    You're not paying thousands of dollars for this, are you? It's not fair to call this a peice of crap when you're not paying for the best quality, really. Don't people understand that if you're paying less than $300 or so, you're not paying for an intermediate or professional quality instrument.
    pie_man_25
    I'm a semi-pro musician, I often find that: 1) You get what you pay for. 2)P Bass Doesn't give the snap and sensitivity I need. 3)Emos never play Good Quality instruments (I'm not saying they suck, I'm just saying they don't play real instruments) 4)P-Basses aren't versatile enough (I have a Jazz Bass, I play mostly Jazz to Metal, I need A great snap and small frets bacause I finger hard)
    Smegpt86
    re: the affinity p-bass. this is one POS bass. Got one at home somewhere. I have actually had to replace the nut with a bigger one because it was far too low, even with the action as high as it would go. terrible electronics, constant buzz from the instrument no matter what it's plugged into. however, this was the cheapest bass they had (with good reason!) and like pie man said, you get what you pay for.