Precision Bass Special review by Squier

Squier: Precision Bass Special

It suit's my playing style very well, it's got the P-Bass pickup for the more punky/ska riffs and then the Jazz pickup for the more funky feel (very well suited for playing Superstitious by Stevie Wonder). At the moment I'm using it with a Beringher 1400, (hoping to change that as I can't get the best sound out of it). It works ok, but I can't always get a full sound. I've also got the 300 model though, which is a lot better. I can get a nice rich sound out of it, and the Shape dial helps to give a little variety. The bass itself is a very versatile one. With the two different style pickups you can go for a raw, punchy punk feel or a more jazzy, funk sound. You could spend literally hours juts fiddling with the control knobs, tring out different sounds.

I play punk, ska, a bit of motown. This is a good amtch because as mentioned above, it is so versatile, so I can egt teh right sound for the style I am playing. I've been playing for near a year now. I did have an old Wesley, but I sold that when I got this since it was showing it's age. If it were stolen, I would definatly buy it again, unless I had enough money to buy to proper Fender version. I just love the versatility of this bass. Also, the lightness of teh wood used. The only thing is that at 20 frets, I can't always go to the second octave.

This guitar will withstand playing Live as long as you don't smash it up. It's solidly built, and the electrics all seem pretty well conected. The strap buttons are good, but if you have an old strap (like I do) I reccomend you invest in a couple of strap locks. I would definatly use this without a backup. In fact, I have many times. The finish is good, althoigh you get the inevitible fingerprints if you don't clean it, and the marks on the frets from the strings after a while.

The guitar was pretty well set up at the factory. The pickups wern't screwed down all the way, but it only takes about 5 mins with a screwdriver to fix that. So far I havn't found any serious flaws, all I can complain about is that there's sometimes just a little bit of feedback when the tone is all the way up.

Easy to play, the Squier P Bass Special is responsive and flexible, delivering tone by the truckload. The slim, comfortable neck is matched to a solid agathis body, which is fitted with a traditional split single-coil P Bass pickup and a J Bass pickup in the bridge position for tonal versatility. Quality touches include multi-ply pickguards and chrome dome knobs.