Precision Bass Special review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Squier: Precision Bass Special

I play mostly heavy rock and punk rock, but have also played a little blues and Jazz in the past. I bough this guitar to learn on and it's great for that. It sounds pretty decent through any half decent amp, though I find there is a bit too much feedback with the tone all the way up. I mainly use it with either a Fender BP-15 practise amp or a Leem multi amp as I mainly use this for demoing songs (I use my Fender P-Bass for recording and playing live). It's sound it not too different from a Fender P-Bass, though you can tell the difference in recording. This bass is best suited for punk rock over other genres.

Overall I'd say it's a damn decent entry level bass, and maybe good as a back up to your Fender because they're so cheap in comparison and the sound isn't too different. If you play punk rock, then this is a cheap alternative to those expensive models out there, and it will perform just as well, but don't expect it to last forever. As I've said, I also own a Fender P-Bass and much prefer that, but mainly for the build quality. Fender brand (although they're essentialy the same company) guitars seem to last a lot longer and don't have as many small problems. It's easy to pick up and play, fun to learn on and I would never get rid of it, mainly due to the hours I've put in maintaining the thing! If you buy one of these, check all the screw points and buttons to make sure they're tight, and search eBay for a new set of Fender pickups. Replace the fitted ones and you'll have a bass that can sound better than a top end Fender model for less than half the price!

I played my first few shows with this bass and it performed really well. The only problem was with the jack, as a slight knock and it snapped a contact and cracked the pickguard. I resoldered it myself, and haven't had any more problems with it since, though I'm far more careful with it now than I was back then! The strap buttons are a little dodgy too, but nothing a quick removal and dab of glue couldn't fix, but you don't really want to be building the guitar yourself.

When I bought it, the action was a little too high for my liking, but it's really simple to adjust, and since everyone has their own preferences, I can't really knock it on that score. My only problem with it is a slight buzz on the A string due to some minor problem at the bridge which I've been unable to solve, but other that that, it's fine.

I'm not 100% on when this was made, but it was made in Indonesia. It sports 21 frets. Mine is a gloss black finish. It did have the standard Squier pickups, but I've since changed them for Vintage Fender-Line Sensor ones. I'm basing this review on the original ones. There's one tone control and one volume control, both chrome.

Ali-b912
    would this be good for an intermediate guitarist to use? i plan on still using my guitar but my band doesnt have a bassist and wont for a while so i took the job upon myself. i think an affinity squier is more for a complete beginner but its a hell of alot cheaper to get it and an amp. advices please
    Ali-b912
    btw, i play hard/classic rock and metal, and i know that this isnt an affinity i was comparing the affinity pack to one of these (both are $550 AUD)
    manipulator
    i need a wiring schematic for this bass, if anyone could possibly hook me up let me know itsclassicalanyway@hotmail.com thanks a mil.