Precision Bass Special review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 5.2 Decent
Squier: Precision Bass Special

I use this with my 600w Behringer stack, and can get some quite good tones, ranging from a trebly punky sort of sound to a deep blues bass sound. The bass also sounds pretty good for slap. The great advantage of having a bass with both the P/J pickup configuration is that you can get both sounds out of one bass. This bass is pretty noisy, and I suspect that the shielding inside isn't quite up to scratch. I find that it sounds constantly 'tinny' too, despite EQing it properly. I originally bought this bass as my main bass but was forced to upgrade after around 3 months. This was because, despite my band's soundman's best efforts, he just could not make the bass cut through properly in the band situation, and just ended up having no headroom left, and the bass still not cutting.

This bass is alright. Just alright. Nothing special really here. It was advertised as having a slim jazz style neck, but really was not thin at all and was quite chunky indeed. I play rock, pop music, and this bass is quite a good match. I wouldn't buy this bass again, and I wouldn't advise others to buy it. It sounds slightly weak, damages easily, and the hardware isn't particularly fantastic. I wouldn't consider buying it again as I hate the way the neck feels. I've got quite small hands, and despite the bass being advertised as having a slim neck, it feels thick and chunky. This makes it difficult and tiring to play. The weight is also quite an issue, as after playing this at several gigs, it becomes extremely tiring on the shoulder.

The bass stays in tune quite well, but temperature seems to affect it a lot more than my other basses. I wouldn't gig with this bass without a backup, primarily because it currently fills that role itself, i.e. it is the backup for my Fender (even though I trust it implicitly, I always take the Squier just to be sure). Also, the input jack will not stop working loose, and I have to tighten it up regularly. The finish is not very durable, and is marked and dented very easily.

The setup on the bass was remarkably poor when I got it. The action was sky high, the neck was very bowed and the intonation was way out. I had to set it up properly and it took quite a while! The pickups were also very low, I would go as far as to say they were about as low as they will go. I had to adjust those properly too. The finish on the guitar was perfect when it arrived, and had been packed very well. The stock strings, however, are not that good, and I would recommend that you swapped them with a decent set (rotosounds, etc).

This bass is a 2007 model. The body is agathis, with a maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. It is passive, and had both Precision and jazz pickups in it. The body is a Precision bass body, but the neck has more a jazz thickness to it (or so they say). The hardware is all Squier's own. The finish on mine is metallic black. I didn't get any accessories with mind apart from the usual allen keys for adjusting the action and truss rod. One feature I really like is that the jack socket is located on the bottom side of the bass (telecaster style) rather than on the pickguard like most Precision style basses have.