Precision Bass Special review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Squier: Precision Bass Special

Purchased from: Ebay

The two pickups create 2 very different sounds. The Jazz has good highs and mids and is quite bright, so much I think it sounds a bit like a guitar. It does well for jazz(Who knew?), funk, and blues, along with others, though particularly these 2. The Precision gave a more characteristic "bass" sound. It has a good low rumble that distorts well, good for rock and, though it could do better at it, metal. It is still versatile and can work in most genres. I play through a (Yes I know, it sucks..) Behringer BT108. Even with a Piece o' crap like that, I could get a decent sound. Someone had apparently tried to do a few "improvements" before I received the bass, though he failed miserably. He had rewired the tone so it was no longer a tone, so we had to fix it by using a wire diagram of Seymour Duncan. Now the tone's threshold is where I can use it as a "silence knob" for my single-coil. It also makes the tone a bit darker as you turn it up.

I chose this as a first bass that was versatile, and got what I paid for, and, though many would probably disagree, a good bit more. It works for what I play, which is to say, almost anything. I would probably try looking for something else before buying this if it were lost/stolen/broken/burnt by evil deranged monkeys with paper shredders and a blowtorches, though it would be a first pick. It is good for the price, though there is definitely better out there for a higher price. But for a beginner bass, it's pretty good.

It feels pretty sturdy. It feels like it would work Live. The finish feels pretty thick and should last. I would gig it without a backup (Provided I could afford a backup).

When I got this bass, a previous owner had tried to redo the wiring. The P pickup had been completely wired out of the circuit, and the tone had become a boost. After rewiring it was great. But that was just me because I got it used.

I bought this bass because of it's pup configuration. It was my first bass and I'd heard great things of Precision and Jazz basses, but wasn't sure what to get and I was broke. On topic, it has P (split-coil) and J (single-coil) pickups. It has volume for each and a master tone. The body is P while the neck is J.

Balthazar4327
    hi guys i made a p bass special with a squier II with maple frets.I had to change the p pickups put in EMG selects awsome no feed back even on the amp.to the point i put in humbucker jazz pikup on the bridge wired it jazz style.Wow she roars and awsome in power cords and cords no buzzing like a jazz pick up.but i'm wondering if if i should put in a jazz neck pickup to make it an even willder bass.please give me input thanks.