Precision Bass Special V review by Squier

Squier: Precision Bass Special V

Price paid: A$ 240

Purchased from: Cash Converters

This bass compliments any style I throw at it. It does classic rock without a sweat, jazz with a bit of set up, it does funk incredibly well, and also heavy stuff if I really push it. The fifth string sounds so powerful, it's like my amp will burst. The overall tone of the bass is a nice, round tone, and does especially well on lower frequencies, but at the same time sounds bright at the higher end. I wouldn't reccommend slap on it, as slapping on a 5 string is difficult, but it also sounds nice. I've just been using my small Peavey practice amp with it so far, but it sounds really nice on it.

In my current band, we're playing progressive rock stuff, and this bass is the all-rounder you need for that sort of music. Great on both low-end and high end, can deliver a "growling" tone for heavier parts. Also awesome for my funk side-project, because it can also be really bright on the high end with some tweaking. And it's CHEAP! Perfect for me and my crappy pay.

This bass just FEELS solid to me. Like, if put in a cage match against another instrument, it'll come out smiling every time (except maybe against a tuba). It's also pretty heavy and has a reliable feel to it. The hardware definitely won't be spontaneously combusting anytime soon, so I'm happy with it. The buttons are solid as rock. I would definitely use it in a gig without a backup. I wouldn't even need a backup for alternate tunings, because of that fifth string. The finish is possibly made of diamond/titanium, because it never scratches. Ever.

This is the only area this bass fails to excel in. The action was perfect when I got it, the pickups were just fine and the finish has pretty much been invincible ever since I bought it. The only problem was that THE TUNING PEG FELL OFF! Now, this was sold at Cash Converters (Australian equivalent of a pawn shop), so I'm guessing that it was damaged by its previous owner (bastard...), but it still shouldn't do that. I got the whole machinehead replaced, and it's solid as a rock now. Also, the wood seems a bit soft. I knocked the headstock on another guitar during a gig, and it made a fairly noticeable dent on it. Also, the jack comes loose every now and then, but that's an easy fix.

This bass was made in Indonesia. I have no idea how old it is, but, I'm guessing 2008-2010. It's got 5 strings, which was my initial attraction to it. (I wasn't sure whether to review this in Standard P-Bass or Special P-Bass. It says it's Standard on the headstock.) It has 22 jumbo frets (a little too big for me initially, but I've gotten used to it.), standard butterfly tuning pegs and open gear machineheads, a maple body and a rosewood fingerboard. It's got a really pretty metallic red finish and a white pickguard, which, I feel, goes really nicely with the pale wood of the headstock. It's got two pickups, one standard P-Bass pickup, one standard J-bass one. It's got two volume knobs and one tone knob (which I feel doesn't change the tone enough for my taste). I got this on it's own, with no accessories.

soulfire666
    sounds like the indonesian made ones are great and the chinese made ones have a shit finish and the knobs fall off. none of these reviews are for a Korean made squier p-bass ..which i have. have just finished stripping the finish off (which was ****in sturdy but I wanted to see the wood) and it turns out its made of plywood, with possibly a maple neck. 13 hole pick guard too unlike other squiers which dont fit the standard fender pickguards should you ever want to replace. gigged lots with this bass. once I put the strings I liked on it and adjusted the pickups to the right height so it didn't distort at the volume I like to play at, it was ****ing brilliant, I got it for free, and may it last me many, many years to come.
    MaggaraMarine
    shadowolf1324 wrote: ok... i have the Squier P-Bass, and from what i can tell, most of these reviews are by people who either one, have no idea what they're doing and can't handle the thick strings on a bass (buzzing), two have some problems with their bass specifically (EQ issues), or don't even know which one they have but they feel like bitching about it on UltimateGuitar.com. Overall, i love this bass and i wish it was a 5 string because my only problem with it is that it isnt.
    But Squier makes many models of P bass. There are VM, Affinity, Bronco bass etc. They might be reviewing some other model that sucks.
    morbay32
    I love mine, and it is indeed durable, I have several guitars hanging from wall mounted hangers, and one day the bass fell off the wall. Not a scratch or a dent, can't even tell it fell. Keeps on playing no matter what you do to it.
    TimCooper93
    I confess to be no expert; but I started by buying the 230 Squier Affinity Starter Pack, with a 15W Fender Rumble Amp, headphones and tutor DVD about 4 months ago. It's perfect for my needs as a rookie and it delivers a pretty rich sound to a variety of classic and progressive rock, I haven't experimented too much into metal yet, but that's the aim. Of course it doesn't sound the best, but it's satisfactory, and for a full set for less than a number of "Better Quality" basses (the 400-500 bracket) to my minimally trained ear it sounds as good, if not better than some (cough-Yamaha-cough) and holds it own against Ibanez' 300 series. That being said it's a cheap Squier, not an expensive Fender. It's like buying a pair of jeans from Asda's George instead of Levi's or Hollister, you shouldn't expect them to be utterly maginficent, but you can trust them to fit what your needs. For a rookie or an intermediate player, it's certainly not a bad choice, it feels solid, dependable and so far damned near indestructible (my only bitch being that I have had to tighten the shoulder strap screws a bit more often than I would have expected, but it's a 10 second job). That being said it has not been on stage but has had to put up with my rather clumsy habits and an avalanche of books falling on it, the Squier seemed unharmed. However if it was stolen or destroyed in a fire, or whatever, I think I would upgrade a little, not because it's a bad bass, but because I want to challenge myself.