Precision Bass Special V review by Squier

Squier: Precision Bass Special V

2008 Precision Standard 5-string bass guitar made in Indonesia. It came with a fitted case, neck strap, cable, tuner and Fender Bassman 100 Amp. Someone may say I got ripped off on the price, but I bought if from a friend so that didn't matter. It has two pickups with a double cut-away body style. It has a volume control for each pickup and a tone control. The tuners are non-locking. Since this was a second hand purchase, I don't have a lot of information regarding body and neck woods or the type of electronics in spite of looking online for these. The bridge is a tune-o-matic style.

I play traditional country, blues and rock & roll, along with the occasional gospel and bluegrass. This guitar handles them well. I turn the bass all the way down - the deeper, lower sound, the better. With the treble up it can be used for lead or slap if so desired. In addition to a Fender Bassman 100 amp that I use for playing out, I have a Blackface SWR bass amp with a 15 inch speaker that I play through at home. It produces a full sound with either of the amps. I don't use any effects at this time. Playing over the bottom of the fretboard produces a soft sound suitable for ballads.

Since I bought it used, I don't know how well it was set up at the factory. Action is good. No known flaws since I've had it. The top is properly fitted and the nut and bridge are both properly routed. The pickups each have similar output so there is no loss of volume between the two. I have the neck pickup louder for the most bottom end possible. The action is good and playing down the neck is easy. Fit and finish are good with no loose parts or noisy controls. The frets are smooth and the flat wound strings are easy on my fingers.

This guitar is a reliable instrument. I have played it live numerous times in the last 7 years without a backup. I play it about once a month at home and less frequently for a gig. It seems to be well built and the hardware is solid. It stays in tune well with only little tweaks required on occasion. The strap buttons were also solid but have been replaced with Schaller strap locks for easy strap connection and removal. There is not room in the case for the strap. The guitar has a black gloss finish which seems quite durable.

I play traditional country, blues and rock & roll. It works well with all of them. I have been playing for many years (guitar and bass) with the former being my dominate instrument. If this guitar were lost or stolen, I would purchase a more expensive instrument just to have a higher quality instrument. I don't hate anything about this guitar. I do wish it had a bit more bottom end, though. I like being able to play it for several hours without my fingers feeling like they will fall off. I bought the instrument from an individual so did not compare it to others. I had heard it played by the previous owner so knew how it sounded. I wish it had a little more low end although the low B string sounds pretty awesome.