Standard Jazz Bass review by Squier

Squier: Standard Jazz Bass

Purchased from: Gak

I play lots of funk, reggae and slap. This bass can handle all of those easily with its wide range of tones. My bass teacher played this bass and said that it played just like an American jazz bass, so with a few hardware modifications I will have a superb quality bass for much less money. My favourite feature is the playable neck, but it is let down by the slightly offset nature of some of the frets, just a minor aesthetic thing but still. I chose this bass because I liked the range of tones, and I needed a bass with a rear pickup because of my playing style. Overall I'm very impressed, and for the money I have played no better bass. I cannot tell the difference between this bass and most of the Mexican jazz basses I've played. A good beginner and intermediate bass.

This guitar would easily withstand live playing, and it has done so on several occasions. The finish is quite nice, it shows up fingerprints a lot but it's well applied and there are no drops or blemishes.

The action from the factory wasn't bad, a little higher than I'd like but still playable. The intonation was also pretty good. No complaints about anything apart from the fretwire; some of the frets seem to have been hammered in at an odd angle. It doesn't affect the sound or the playability, and it was only noticeable when I had a close inspection, but it's just a little thing that could have easily been avoided. The rest of the hardware seems solid enough, it stays in tune and nothing rattles. The neck is the best feature about the bass, it's the classic slim jazz shape that's a dream to play. The fretboard wood itself is rosewood, and is a nice smooth and even bit of wood. Overall, very impressive.

This bass has an agathis body, rosewood board with 20 frets, passive electronics and a string-thru bridge. It has the usual jazz bass selection two volume and one tone knob. It's all Squier hardware, obviously!