Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass review by Squier

Squier: Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass

Purchased from: Kennys music

It suits my music style perfectly, I play punk and hard rock. I play this bass through a Marshall MB150. The split-p pick-up seems to have all of that P-Bass thump you would expect and the single coil tends to pick up a bit too much string noise and hiss when the tone control is at the brightest setting, so I roll is back to about 7. For tone connoisseurs this bass may not have the tonal range you want, but really, what do you expect for a 250 quid bass.

My overall impressions of this bass is that for the price it's a cracker of an instrument once it has had a proper set up. I've been playing bass for almost 9 years now and have owned a large range of equipment and this is probably one of the best basses I have owned, it is better than my old Yamaha BB424 and cost 150 less. For the price, this bass could have easily been a 10 had it arrived in its current playable state. If you can get this for around 250 with a full set-up I say go for it.

This bass has been well played the last few days and it does seem like it will stand up to live playing. The hardware looks like it will do its job sufficiently, but I will most likely replace them with higher quality parts in future. I will gig this without a backup since it's the only bass I have in standard tuning now, but it seems like it will be solid enough. I have only had this about a week so far so I can't really judge just now.

Straight out of the box this bass wasn't really playable. The neck was bowed forward a little too much, the action was too high and the intonation was quite a fair bit out. The concentric knobs were put on too close together on the neck controls and turning the tone control would catch the volume knob and turn it down. After a few adjustments I got it in perfectly playable condition. (If you're not comfortable with making adjustments to the truss rod take it to a tech, I can't stress this enough) There were/are a few little problems with the finishing as there is some slight discolouration (not rust or oxidisation as far as I can tell) on a few of the higher frets. Under the lacquer on the back of the headstock it looks like there's a little fingerprint smudge, but that's not noticeable from more than a few inches away. On a good note, the rout for the jazz pick-up is very clean, the finish on the body headstock and neck is consistent, the nut is perfectly cut, the bridge is perfectly aligned with the neck, the neck and frets are well finished and there is no sign of fret buzz. I would advise to get a set up from the shop when buying.

This bass was made in 2010 in Indonesia, it has a very comfortable agathis body, jazz style maple neck with a rosewood fretboard and 20 medium jumbo frets. Vintage style bridge and machine heads. This bass doesn't have the bells and whistles of it's Fender brother which suits me fine. The pickups are a P/J hybrid and seem to be good compared to other Duncan Designed pick-ups I've heard. The sound is controlled by Concentric volume and tone pots, the tone pots have ten indents which hold them quite firmly in position which is handy and saves from accidental knocks while changing volume.

dexfx69
    Beautiful fit and finish, fantastic tone from thump to jaco. Typical asian production means usually there's going to be something wrong with the bass; usually easily fixable. That said, this is an exceptional value.
    GidBass
    xg936b wrote: lame
    now there is a good review of someone with sufficient knowledge about bass guitars.... go write something decent or just dont write anything at all! apology for this anger. the bass is awesome, tries it yesterday in the local shop. for it's price it's solid, but wouldn't give it such a high mark, it's not comparable to the high-class basses..
    HoddiDarko
    Good review. I like those new Vintage series Squiers, much better than these horrible Affinity series guitars.
    doive
    Sounds like a decent buy. My question though - can you select the pickups or do you have to have both running (as standard I mean, it sounds like you've done a lot to it )
    Tostitos
    Looks like a fun bass to mod. Might pick one up used in the future
    doive
    \m/snoogans\m/ wrote: doive wrote: can you select the pickups or do you have to have both running (as standard I mean, it sounds like you've done a lot to it ) I haven't modified anything (yet), just gave it a good set-up. Sadly there isn't a pick-up selector. You would have to just turn the volume down on the pick-up you don't want to use. I am going to add a pick-up selector switch to mines sometime this month though.
    \m/snoogans\m/
    doive wrote: If you have 1 vol, 1 tone then you can't change the pickup vol independently surely?
    They are concentric (stacked) pots, each has two knobs, the top one to control volume and the bottom to control tone. http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/images/p... they're exactly the same as the one in the right on this image. Hopefully that helps you understand.
    Hrbáč
    I'm not particularly crazy for that shape but looks like lot of fun especially if you take the money and time to change up the electronics.
    \m/snoogans\m/
    GidBass wrote: xg936b wrote: for it's price it's solid, but wouldn't give it such a high mark, it's not comparable to the high-class basses..
    I know, my review was written entirely in terms of bang for buck. I think I gave it a fair assessment.
    BevilTex
    My Jag is impressive. Much more variety in tone than expected... you just have to be creative. Setup was poor from the factory, but after some intensive work on the neck and action, it is a real find for the price!
    Battlechop
    Brand new player here (~6 months), so maybe the following commentary doesn't count, but I find myself agreeing with snoogans on most areas. I bought my Jag because it looked like a good beginner's instrument (and the price was right); plus I was tired of beating on the used Ibanez GTR-50 I bought for $80. Out of the box it looked and felt great, but the low E string sounded, I dunno, flat or thuddy; no punch. Plus, something is wrong with the P-pickup volume/tone concentric control: when I turn up the tone, the volume cuts out. Must be a short. Other than that, I love it!