Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Squier: Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass

Price paid: C$ 300

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

You can get a lot of sounds out of this. You can use just the split pickup or the jazz pickup or both to get a wide array of sounds and tones. I haven't played it with any effects, but it doesn't really need any. It sounds great compared to most of the other basses in this price range.

I play (almost) every type of music. It gets good sounds for Rock, Punk, Jazz, Funk... I haven't been playing for as long as most people on here, but I think this is a great bass. I had owned a Yamaha RBX170, and this blows it out of the water. If I lost or got this bass stolen, I would replace it (if I had the money to, that is). I played at least fifteen other basses at store and this one felt and played the best, in my opinion. In this price range, this and the other Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe basses are the way to go.

I haven't gigged with it yet, but as far as I can tell, it's solid. The pickups could use some upgrading if you wanted to. Same with the bridge and the tuners, but the stock ones are fine. It should be able to last for a while (I hope).

The action was a little higher than I am used to, and I played with it low, so it's probably about average. There are a few flaws. The open A string rattles from the nut, as mentioned above the volume/tone controls can be finicky. A few little blemishes on the body, but they are not very noticeable.

Made in Indonesia in 2011 (I think). - 20 Medium Jumbo frets with White Pearloid Block Position Inlays - Maple neck Rosewood fretboard - Passive Duncan Designed pickups (neck split, bridge jazz) - Stacked Volume/Tone controls Nice pickups. The stacked controls can be annoying though. You might adjust the volume by accident when you're trying to adjust the tone or the other way around. The inlays are nice. The bridge and tuners are nothing remarkable.