Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass review by Squier

Squier: Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass

Price paid: C$ 300

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

I play througha Fender Rumble 15 bass amp. The bass is capable of sounding like a Fender Jazz Bass or like a Precision Bass. It has a great range of tones and can really growl. I play mostly Beatles. While it cannot sound like a Hofner, it does a decent imitation of a Rickenbacker 4001 for some of the later songs. When played by better hands than mine, it shows off very nicely.

This is not an expensive bass BUT it plays above its price range. My two complaints are that the neck likes to dive and its overall weight. It is visually a beautiful bass with lots of versatility. Perfect for those not sure if they want a Jazz or Precision. I compared it to the Squier Jazz and Precisions, but this one was more versatile than either, seemed to fit my body better and looked five better with its black body and matching headstock (I wish more Fenders/Squiers had the option at least). I have a Hofner Ignition at home to handle most of the music I play, but if the bass was lost or stolen I would be sorely tempted to get another simply because of its tonal range.

The bass could be dropped and is solid enough to withstand it. I have owned it for 1 year. The hardware seems solid, the strap buttons secure and I would have no hesitation taking it anywhere. It has gone gigging with a friend and handled it perfectly, infact he has asked if he could buy it from me, but I do not want to part with it.

Factory set up required the truss rodd to be straightened and the action lowered. Pickups are finely balanced. Not a flaw otherwise in the finish. It holds its tuning perfectly (better than some more expensive basses I fooled around with) and the intonation is spot on. I still have the original strings on it (normally I change them as soon as I get home).

- Made in Indonesia in 2011. - 34" scale, 20 medium jumbo frets, white pearloid rectangular inlays - Solid Agathis body with Polyester finish with Maple neck & Rosewood Fretboard - Jaguar body with standard 4-saddle bridge - Two concentric controls, each control the tone and volume of a pickup - Duncan Designed pickups, single coil jazz pick up at bridge, split single coil pickup in the middle position.

leftcoastbass
    xg936b wrote: lame
    Lame? P-J setup, matching headstock, comfortable jazz bass 70's block inlay rosewood neck, early 60's style concentric knobs, uniquely cool Jaguar style offset body. I have over 100 basses and I really love this one - even with the stock pickups I've used it on a half-dozen recording sessions already. It's not lame. Sorry.