Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass review by Squier

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Squier: Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass

Not quite sure what year, and I think it's Indonesian made? I could probably just go check, anyways... It has a Rosewood board with pearloid trap inlays, Agathis body, Poly coat finish, Passive "Duncan Design" P/J pickup combo (P-neck/J-bridge). Stacked volume and tone control knobs, oddly the tone knobs have a 10 click turn feel to them. I dig it, it makes it feel less cheap? I'm just comparing them to the Danelectro stacked knobs because that's the only other I've ever used. Standard 4 saddle bridge, open gear tuners, etc. I got mine with a Roadrunner hard case. Everything seems pretty basic on it besides the "Duncan Design" pickups. Not quite the same as having some Seymour Duncan Quarter pounds, but better than your standard pickups in my opinion.

I play from Sunday morning worship sets, heavy alternative basement shows. My board set up is Tuner > MXR Custon Comp > Sparkle Drive > Nova Delay > MXR M-80 into either a Buger BVP-5500 or occasionally a 76 Fender Bassman 50 into an Ampeg BXT 4x10. So through all of that the bass sounds amazing, but heck if you mic'd up a stretched garden hose it'd probably still sound decent. By itself the the isn't anything stand out. Through the mains if it's EQ'd well it'll sound like a bass. Get a decent preamp and your set. I usually run volumes up on both pickups, and even with a P/J combo it sounds much more smooth than punchy. with the bridge volume rolled down it has of course the P bass punch, but also I've noticed volume increase. I feel I can use this bass for both worship and pop punk gigs with a fitting sound in each genre

My action was fine off the wall from my local GC in PA, but I played one off the wall down in Raleigh's GC and the action was close to terrible. I can't speak for the consistency of quality setups, but I can say mine was fine, the only adjusting I've done to it was lower the E-string saddle a half turn or so. The intonation has been fine thus far. I will say that my volume knobs maybe after 6 months have gotten pretty noisy. During non-worship gigs I usually tape them down to avoid possible movement of them to try to stop any unwanted crackle. It's a super light bass. Lighter on my shoulder than both my Jazz and P bass.

As soon as I got it I replaced the standard strap buttons with DiMarzio cliplocks. I guess it's what I always do. Bridge and tuners seem fine. I throw mine around a lot, so it's taken up a whole bunch of scratches and scrapes, but besides that it seems tough. The body seems a bit soft through the cracks. I can pick at the wood with my finger nail and it comes out where the Poly coat and paint has been broken and chipped away. I usually do gig it without a back up, but recently I've been using it with my P-bass, but only for alternate tunings sake. Like I said, it's a poly coat, and when not cracked, it'll last forever. I actually sanded mine off so it would wear down.

I've been playing for about 7 years, I've been through 4 basses? Surprisingly this has been my favorite, a lot of my musician friends poke fun that it's a Squier, but I still dig it. If it were stolen I'd probably upgrade to maybe a Modern Players Jag or something under the Fender name just to upgrade. I love the weight, the look, and I do like the sound. I don't like the electronics too too much, I'd like to replace the pickups along with the electronics, and even though they say a name is just a name I don't like that it's under Squier simply because of the level of quality Squier is known for even though this bass in particular is a quality item.

rockrolltroll57
    Got my VM Jaguar 2 - years ago. After changing the Pickups to SD Quarter Pounders, replaced the Bridge with a Hipshot, and Hipshot Lite Machine Heads, this Bass is just plain a kick ass axe. Tone for days, plenty of sustain. My #1