Vintage Modified Jazz Bass review by Squier

Squier: Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

The sound of this bass is absolutely amazing. I was looking for a versatlie bass I could use in the studio, and I wanted to be able to get a P Bass sound also. This bass can do it. Right now I'm running it into my computer through guitar rig 2 (also great). I also run it through my champ 15 watt guitar amp (not a lot though, don't want to ruin the speaker). With the tone knob turned all the way up you can get a great "real" punk tone (Rise Against, The Clash, Sex Pistols, etc). Turn it halfway you get a more calm tone ('60s Beatles like) Turn it all the way and it's a thumpin slappin beast!

I play various styles of rock ranging from metal to punk to classic rock. The versitality of this guitar is a great match, although I wouldn't reccomend this to the metalhead bassist because of its more '70s sound. I bought this bass basedon reviews, and never got the chance to try it at a store, but it definitly worked oout. This is my First bass (I've played guitar for about 5 years now) so I can't really compare it to anything else but it is much better than some of the affinity series basses I tried. Overall this bass I a very good and fits my needs perfectly.

This seems like a very reliable guitar, I would most certainly use it live without a back up. The hardware seems like it will last around 5-10 years if I had to guess, but even then I wouldn't mind replacing it. The finish seems like it will stand my rouh playing (its also a very sexy au-natural look). Don't let the Squier name fool you, THIS a wonderful guitar and will last me many great years!

The guitar was setup fairly well. I had this guitar shipped so I was fairly worried about what kind of state it might be in but it turned out okay. I had to adjust the pickups ever so slightly to get my tonal needs but rather than that there were no flaws whatsoever.

This wonderful bass of mine is a 2006, indonesian made, Vintage Modified '70s Jazz Bass. It has 20 frets on it's maple neck. The body is also made from maple. The finis is a polyurethane transparent finish to show off the wood. The body style is based from the regular Fender Jazz bass. It has duncan designed passive pickups, run into two volumes (for both pickups) and a master tone.

f-e-z
    If you are so wise and brilliant with your clearly superior bass, you could at least do it justice and spell its name right. I mean, precision instruments are so hard to come by these days, and precision is what I look for in a guitar, it's that precise look and feel that gives it what I think is the most important feature. Precision. So you would want to spell it "Precision Bass" instead maybe?
    Deeswift
    Serjem wrote: indeed, nice guitar, but once i hear the "SQUIER" name.. i automaticly start to think like; omg this sucx.. the neck's gonna brake, the pickups are gonna get fooked up.. etc =) i don't know why do i think that way... probably coz i read too much stuff on forums or whatevah =) SERJEM=)
    Moron.
    RndMndofGitdwn
    Serjem : indeed, nice guitar, but once i hear the "SQUIER" name.. i automaticly start to think like; omg this sucx.. the neck's gonna brake, the pickups are gonna get fooked up.. etc =) i don't know why do i think that way... probably coz i read too much stuff on forums or whatevah =) SERJEM=) POSTED: 12/26/2006 - 08:51 am / quote | hemi-san : dude thats the way i am too. can't so squier simply because POSTED: 12/26/2006 - 12:37 pm / quote |
    HAHAHA your losses guys dont rip it til u try it. I got me one except mine is FRETLESS, and I love it. I chose this one since my other Bass is a Jazz type and i like the body/sound. And i have never had a fretless bass before and i did not want to make a huge inital investment incase i hated it. The sound is Great, Action is fast and smooth (I have the vintage sunburst w/o a pickgard and an Ebonol neck. I would highly reccomend this Bass to those who are looking for the MOST Bang for the Buck, and wants somthing a helluva lot better than a $150-$200 "entrylevel" junky wood bass from N00bs R Us. or something. yeah i got "teh sucky" Agathis wood one but i dont give a hoot, i love the tone and look.
    Deeswift
    hemi-san wrote: dude thats the way i am too. can't so squier simply because
    Then you're an idiot with an ego that's too large. The Squier VM series are the best basses that Squier have produced apart from maybe the 1982-1984 JV series which were as good, and sometimes better, than the originals they were copying. Many people have compared the Squier VM's to Fender's, even USA ones, and the Squier's came out on top. Read the reviews here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=ba...
    nicklopeke
    I know this gonna sound weird, but I prefer this particular bass, the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass, over your Standard American Jazz Bass by Fender. I liked its tone (sounds fatter, not as mellow as a standard), the neck and fretboard, and the fact that everything seems to be "tigher" meaning that it was put together nicely, not mass produced. Even though it costs more than your standard Squier Jazz Bass, it's worth it (about $350 CAN).
    Seri0usJ0ker
    Vintage Modified is just a remake. If the year is 2006 it's definatly not as good as a 70's jazz bass. I mean, sure...it will work and some people like the newer stuff. But I'm in to the real vintige stuff. I have a real 1978 Presicion Bass almost in mint condition.
    Serjem
    vonroden
    I was lucky to try one/play on a vintage Modified Jazz bass in the local "music shool" and i was blown away, thougth all Squiers was garbage but this one "vintage modified" was very nice EXPECT(teachers fault) The action was at almost max i was like wtf, how can you play bass with a action that low., I currently owns a Squier P-bass and hate it, and thougt NOT to go for a another Squier after it put well i changed my minded abit. It can sound like a p-bass rigth? some stuff i play sounds better on P-bass settings in my opinion, specialy blues and old school rock
    SupImJimmy
    I'm buying this baby and, unfortunately, sanding the Squier logo off of the top. Doesn't bother me, but I've seriously seen people formulate entire opinions on performers/bands based on what brand name instruments they have...
    restless sloth
    A P-bass has a really distintive sound due to it pick-ups and general body design. The jazz is a much more versitile guitar with alot of really good sounds, but as of yet I have not found one that can sound like a precision. The main difference in simple terms is that the jazz has many good sounds whereas the precision has one great sound (if it's the sound that appeals to you). I'm a great fan of both basses and learned to play on my dads 1970's american fender P-bass. I just recently tried this particular Jazz in a music shop and am seriously considering buying one.
    misterstephen
    i bought it 4 days ago i love it it is great some kings of leon songs dont sound perfect because jared's bass is a thunderbird and they sound more like p-basses but it is still class but i cant get it to sound like p-bass Please Tell Me how what knobs do i turn?????i have a good amp 15 but i am not sure how to make it sound great on the amp either please tell me
    Harnum
    I bought one the other day. I'm fairly new to understanding all the lingo aboiut the single coil pickups and all that cool stuff, so which knobs are which? (Master Tone and Pickups)
    SSL27
    Oh I found a couple differances, for one, the vintage modified is made out of soft maple and the standard is made of alder. Their fretboards are differant too, the vintage modified has a maple fretboard and the standard has a rosewood one.
    ersatz
    i have an ibanez which is also agathis and for us budget shoppers that cant squezze $1000 out of our asses its a very decent wood
    kolindarko
    yeah i just ordered one of these... i definatly agree bout the looks... ill trust your judgement on the sound and quality... ill let you know how i get on with it -K
    SSL27
    I'm not sure, but I think Vintege Modifieds are supposed to be better
    cleft11
    the vintage basses have an older and rarer wood, meaning they cost more. i think, im pretty sure though. the regular ones use pretty common woods though.
    FamousStars_
    got this bass as a christmas gift and its just to good to be true like i would consider this an actual fender and the dude just summed up everything i wanted to say amazing sound, sexy look, nice feel when u play
    guitarfan93
    this one is made of maple, most of the others have cheaper woods like agathis,also this one has a maple neck and duncan designed pickups. Also the look is a much sexier than the standards.
    Ultrabassman
    yeh i have the fretless too. sounds great. put some distortion on and slide those harmonics (overtones for you americans). it's got a great jaco tone too, iot even looks like his bass