Vintage Modified Jazz Bass review by Squier

Squier: Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

I play many styles of music from punk to jazz and this has all bases covered. The tonal control allows you to create anything from a fat trebley punch similar to that of the P-Bass to the warm, mellow sound which the jazz is famous for. I play with a 180watt Ashdown combo, I've also used the bass Live through a PA and haven't had any problems with feedback or excess noise.

The look and sound of this bass will suit almost any style of music. There's just one thing I'd like this bass to have and that is real Fender jazz style black control knobs, because in my opinion they look better than the chrome ones Squier put on all their jazzes. It's not a big problem anyway because you can buy the black controls for about $15 / 8. This Squier looks, sounds and feels just like a real Fender (I know this because I have played many fenders). I played a Mexican Fender jazz and I can honestly say this Squier feels just as good to play and to be honest, it looks better!

I've played this bass Live a few times and so far it's been fine and I don't feel the need to have a back-up. As for the finish, I've played the bass almost every day for the 3 months I've had it and it looks just as new and shiny as it did on the day I bought it. I don't think the hardware is going to break any time soon but I suppose you can't really tell.

The bass seemed to have been set up well, the action was good and everything seemed to have been fitted properly, the only reason I can't give this category 10/10 is because there was a bit of fretbuzz on the E string, (which was easily cured), and one or two screws on the machine heads weren't screwed in all the way, but that's nothing serious.

Mine was made in indonesia, I think they all are. Not sure when mine was made. The 20 fret maple necks looks and feels good as it's nice and thin at the top. The neck and body are both maple, but the body has a polyurethane finish and looks fantastic in any environment. You get a standard bridge which is nothing special but does the job, and 2 passive duncan designed pickups which sound great. You get 2 volume controls (one for the bridge pickup, one for the neck), and one master tone.

AndrogynousMind
    Serjem wrote: indeed, nice guitar, but once i hear the "SQUIER" name.. i automaticly start to think like; omg this sucx.. the neck's gonna brake, the pickups are gonna get fooked up.. etc =) i don't know why do i think that way... probably coz i read too much stuff on forums or whatevah =) SERJEM=)
    Idiot.My squier strat cost 120euro and it is excellent.Squier will not let you down just because they are copies.
    jubsz
    i got one for christmas and it seems like the low E is really deep in comparision to the other strings,does anyone have a solution to my problem??
    chris70dx
    To anyone wondering about whether this is good for playing Muse, it achieves the tone fine I'd recommend this to anyone, it makes my ibanez jumpstart guitar feel like a piece of crap (especially since the high E-string is ****ed it just makes an almost percussive sound when played open).
    flea_is_my_god
    Is the main difference between this and the fender american jazz bass the s1 swtich on the pickup?
    flea_is_my_god
    to jubsz, try buying a new set of strings. Its likely someone put the wrong gauge of string on ur E string which didnt go with the others